Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, after several tries I got an installation of Gentoo working on software RAID 0. Now I can boot it and a couple minor weird things are going on that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A couple setup questions

Hi, after several tries I got an installation of Gentoo working on software RAID 0. Now I can boot it and a couple minor weird things are going on that I hope someone can help with.

1) I can't ifconfig or lspci. When I enter either of these commands, I get "command not found". Is there some basic package I'm missing?

2) I don't get the right resolution at bootup for the console. In my lilo.conf file, I have vga=792 (and I've tried entering it manually) and in my kernel (gentoo-2.6.12-r6), I have "VESA VGA graphics support" enabled and "vesafb" selected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1) I'm 99% sure that both of those are root-only commands. I know that ifconfig is. Are you logged in as root? If you are, then you'll need to grab some packages. ifconfig is part of net-tools, lspci is part of pciutils.

2) What does your /etc/lilo.conf look like? I have a variation of this statement in each of my entries:
    Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=Gentoo
    root=/dev/hdb4
    append="video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85"
    read-only
    The important thing there is the append statement. You'll note I've declared the resolution there.

Thanks a lot. I installed the packages and everything's fine. I'll edit my lilo.conf file after a long emerge I'm running now is finished. But my current file just has "vga=792" as one of the first lines, so I image the append statement you suggested will help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Weird, I added that append statement and my console stays at 640x480. Any ideas?

Oh! Yeah, I think I do.

Do you have framebuffer support enabled in the kernel?

It's under Device Drivers --> Graphics

As a note, whenever I have enabled it, I have been unable to start my X Server. So while I would like to have a nicer console, I make do.

But go ahead and give that a shot...