Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a DVD with a Gentoo 1.4 Installer (Linux Format 46, for those of you that subscribe the magazine) and i wanted to install Gentoo on my new computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

1.4 Installer or 2005?

I've got a DVD with a Gentoo 1.4 Installer (Linux Format 46, for those of you that subscribe the magazine) and i wanted to install Gentoo on my new computer (Windows of course...).

The question is, will have any benefits from downloading and installing the 2005 ISO instead, if we assume that i would've done a Stage 1 install in both cases.

Also will it be more beneficial to use the minimal installer, counting 58 MB, instead of the universal one so i download everything on-the-fly?

Thanks already.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that the difference is that 2005 is the newer version, and will have more updated packages, but if you are doing a stage 1 install i dont think it would matter.

Linux Newbie
    2005.0 or .1 will have better hardware support, plus the old CD may or may not work correctly with the current handbook instructions. I'd suggest grabbing the 2005.1 minimal CD, simply because it's quicker to download and quicker to burn (I hate long burns, especially as Nero loves to lockup when I'm on windows).
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Ok, thanks, I'll just try the Minimal 2005 method, as far as I've read I'll get a more update version of the kernel as well as of the sys-packages.

Well, as, over the last few days, I've done a fair bit of reading at the gentoo documentation site, I'd also say go for the latest (2005.1).

Sure I only did a stage 3 with GRP (I'm not confident enough with my system + I don't have the 3 or 4 days to do a stage 1) but it would save a lot of updating/upgrading later if you went with the latest.

If I understood the docs correctly, then you'd only have to change the system profile when they release the next version and just carry on as normal!

regards

John