Find the answer to your Linux question:
so...i've been playing with my computer some and it's been working great, until now. for some reason, my cdrom drives do nothing any more. they used to be located at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

cdrom drives not recognized any more?

so...i've been playing with my computer some and it's been working great, until now. for some reason, my cdrom drives do nothing any more. they used to be located at /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and /dev/cdroms/cdrom1, but now /dev/cdroms doesn't exist at all.

i can't mount them any more...if i try "mount /mnt/cdrom"---/mnt/cdrom is the mount point---it just goes to the next line (as if it mounted), but when i do "ls /mnt/cdrom" it gives me this error:
    Code:
    ls: /mnt/cdrom: No medium found
    even though there's a cd in it

when the computer is loading it says something about udev and that the cdroms failed to open.

what am i supposed to do to get them working again? they don't do anything at all right now

my thumbdrive still works fine and all of my partitions still work fine too

thanks in advance!

Linux Enthusiast
    You could try running the command eject, and if it is mounted then it will eject, maybe youu could try mount /mnt/hdc?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    You could try running the command eject, and if it is mounted then it will eject, maybe youu could try mount /mnt/hdc?
    nothing is mounted on them though...the directories are empty. and they're /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 (or 1) in /etc/fstab. i tried "mount /mnt/hdc" but this is what i got:
    Code:
    comp josh # mount /mnt/hdc
    mount: can't find /mnt/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    i need the cd drives. i'm happy i found out way before i may really need them. i was just messing around and threw a cd in and it didn't find it.

thanks for offering advice

Linux Enthusiast
    ok...
    so, it seems like gentoo during one of my recent updates somehow changed where the cd drives are seen at

now, it looks at /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1. it used to look in /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and /dev/cdroms/cdrom1.

oh well...i got it fixed now

thanks for the help!

hehe yeah sometimes device names change as you have now found out......this has happened to me with nic's a few times...
    this comes down to bad developers mostly (not paying attention as closely as they should have to minor changes)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

those bastards.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA