Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
my only warning would be that if you use genkernel it doesn't always work and then you don't know how to change stuff in the kernel. My first gentoo install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

my only warning would be that if you use genkernel it doesn't always work and then you don't know how to change stuff in the kernel. My first gentoo install I used genkernel but had no idea on when people would say, "do you have that enabled in the kernel." If you just do the kernel yourself it might take a couple more hours but could save you days of headaches in the future when trying to set up wireless, or a usb, or printer and the such. Because you will know where these things are in your kernel how to enable/disable and then how to compile and copy image over to boot.

Just my 2 cents. Gentoo is about knowing your system and taking advantage of that knowledge...thus, when something does go wrong you can say...hey I know what such and such .config file is because you edited it.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by hal
    sorry, i dindt understand if you advise me to go for a stage 1 or 3 installation. im not new to linux at all, but never compiled a kernel (i.e.). ill probably go for a stage 3 and when i learn a little more about gentoo, then ill take the 1. again, thank you!
    the stage 1 install rules. as long as you follow the manual and .config.example files then you should be fine. and, who knows, if you do get it running, you can help me get X running on my gentoo install
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by hal
    im not new to linux at all, but never compiled a kernel (i.e.). ill probably go for a stage 3 and when i learn a little more about gentoo, then ill take the 1. again, thank you!
    Either way, you will have to compile the kernel

There's no getting around it (apart from using genkernel)

Just follow the manual, and u shouldn't go wrong

Also, remember that if u connect to the net thru ethernet, or something that the live cd can connect to the net, u can always join the IRC channel if u get REALLY stuck
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!

compiling vs. genkernel

I'm running a stage3 2005.0 installation, and I'm a Linux newb. I compiled the kernel myself, and it wasn't much trouble at all. The handbook tells you everything that you really need to enable or disable. In the long run it's probably better to roll your own kernel: you will have to compile it anyway eventually, and if something doesn't work you can tweak your kernel's configuration. I've recompiled the kernel several times since I first built it. I've made some pretty dumb mistakes but never managed to break things bad enough that I couldn't boot.

Just Joined!
    The biggest problem I had when installing Gentoo was getting the CD to boot, I had to fool around a bit with the kernel options to work that out. After that I had no problems. I must say the Handbook is one of the best manuals I've ever read, it goes through everything.
    I guess partitioning and kernel compiling can scare people off if they've never done it before but it really isn't as hard as it looks, just back up everything important and give it a few tries.

Linux User
    for me, the install was pretty easy, but getting everything else afterwards (sound, networking, printers, etc....) to work took forever. my network card still isnt working.
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    for me, the install was pretty easy, but getting everything else afterwards (sound, networking, printers, etc....) to work took forever. my network card still isnt working.
    that's no good

i think i was one of the lucky oned I managed to get my kernel to boot first time :o AND most of my hardware was supported aswell!! had to make a few tweaks to the kernel in order to get my webcam and printer/scanner working, but i just made sure not to overwrite the old kernel, so i had a bootable system anyway
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

hal
    Just Joined!
    i already downloaded the iso, im just waiting to get the handbook printed to start. i need a reasonably fast machine mostly for development and music library. my wm are enlightenment (e16, but i tried e17 and it absolutely rules! maybe ill give it a try also) and (less and less) kde. also, i hope to find good acpi support for the laptop (battery, tft bright, etc) which i think is possible because there is a module called acpi_toshiba (or something like that) that can be added to the kernel. anyway, does anybody here runs gentoo on a laptop?

Just Joined!
    My Gentoo installation took me (literally) days, and 2 complete attempts. Everthing worked fine until i reached xorgconfig and startx...kept getting blank screens and monitor sync errors. Eventually what seemed to sort it out was increasing the shared graphics memory to 32M.

Still no sound yet.......any suggestions ?

SB PCI 128
    PC : Celeron 1300 GHz
    RAM : 512 MB

Quote Originally Posted by infoseeker
    Still no sound yet.......any suggestions ?
    How much of the Linux Alsa Guide have you worked through?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast