Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
well, my installation is all up and running (almost) perfectly. X works without a problem and the sound is perfect just don't bother using the genkernel if you have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

well, my installation is all up and running (almost) perfectly. X works without a problem and the sound is perfect just don't bother using the genkernel
    if you have any trouble, start irssi and go on the #linuxforums channel on the irc.freenode.net server. there are plenty of people who can help you.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Newbie
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that even with Genkernel you still need to compile the kernel. I thought that Genkernel is like a generic kernel that may includes support that you don't need that's why people tend to choose to configure their own custom kernel. Tell me if I made an ass out of myself.....again.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that even with Genkernel you still need to compile the kernel. I thought that Genkernel is like a generic kernel that may includes support that you don't need that's why people tend to choose to configure their own custom kernel. Tell me if I made an ass out of myself.....again.
    Not a full ass, but.
    You do have the option to do a custom compile of genkernel, or you can let genkernel do all of the work.
    Personally, IMO if you are going to use genkernel why bother custom compiling it?
    If you want a custom kernel, genkernel seems a waste.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3