Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
hey guys! i still got one or two weeks of vacations and iīm willing to change distro (getting really tired of mandriva). i am considerating to try gentoo, but there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    hal
    Just Joined!

how hard is it?

hey guys! i still got one or two weeks of vacations and iīm willing to change distro (getting really tired of mandriva). i am considerating to try gentoo, but there are two questions i need to put before: 1st - how hard is it? i know something about computers and osīs, but is there anything i need to read (besides the gentoo intalation guide) in order to be able to make the right choices during the instalation? is there any chance of blowing up everything?! and by the way, may i keep others osīs and partitions? and finnaly, 2nd - i use a laptop... i know that the install will take days and more days, but i can rest (poweroff) my machine once in a while, right?
    thanks indeed!

Linux Newbie
    Nice avatar. Space Odyssey 2001, I like that movie. Regarding the subject I have no comments except that I did not try gentoo, and also want to give it a try. It can be installed with all packages being compiled on the fly, optimized for your platform, this sounds nice, but can take ages to complete.

Re: how hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by hal
    1st - how hard is it? i know something about computers and osīs, but is there anything i need to read (besides the gentoo intalation guide)
    None that i know of, just work ur way thru the guide and u should have a working system

is there any chance of blowing up everything?!
    Worst (i think) you could do is format a wrong partition, so just make sure u KNOW what partitions gentoo's goin on first

and by the way, may i keep others osīs and partitions?
    Yes. I kept my SuSE and Win 2K OK. Just created some free space at the end of my drive for gentoo.

2nd - i use a laptop... i know that the install will take days and more days, but i can rest (poweroff) my machine once in a while, right?
    thanks indeed!
    If you get to a point where u get back to the command line, that should be ok i would have thought.... I cant see anyreason (myself) why not.

You say it'll take days cos u got a laptop?? The type of computer means nothing, it's the power, what specs are the lappy?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    it's more difficult than other installs...yes. but it's definately do-able. i went from fedora core to gentoo without much trouble simply using the gentoo handbook throughout the installation (no extra sources were really needed....and if you ever run into a problem, hop onto another computer and ask here )

about powering the computer off during installation....i'd recommend atleast having the basics of your system installed first (up to the command line) so that you can install the rest later (allowing you to turn it off if you'd like to). by "install[ing] the rest later" i mean kde (or gnome), xorg, firefox, etc. as these aren't really necessary for the computer to start....more to help you use it once it has started .

a couple of tips when installing (these might not make much sense right now, but you'll understand once you start installing it): i'd recommend installing/using hotplug and coldplug so it could detect much of your hardware when your computer boots as this will save you A LOT of work in the future . also, i'd recommend using use the genkernel method when installing your kernel as it's much simpler/quicker and should give you much of the basics needed in your kernel and allows you to choose whatever else you might need

you can keep the other os's when you install gentoo....the handbook should tell you how to keep them around (by adjusting your grub.conf).

"is there any chance of blowing up everything?!"
    there is a chance....but as long as you pay very close attention to the gentoo handbook and what you're doing, you should be ok. i'd recommend backing up any important files first just in case you make a partitioning mistake

so, to make it short....make sure you have the gentoo handbook with you during the install and pay very close attention to the instructions and you should do fine . if any problems arise, than feel free to ask on the forums

hal
    Just Joined!
    thank you guys, i will start downloading de iso file today and get the handbook printed (although i can use another computer to get here).

You say it'll take days cos u got a laptop?? The type of computer means nothing, it's the power, what specs are the lappy?
    i donīt say it will take any longer because of the laptop (itīs a 2 year old pentium4, 512mb), but i donīt like to keep the poor boy up several days.

iīll keep in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by hal
    i donīt say it will take any longer because of the laptop (itīs a 2 year old pentium4, 512mb), but i donīt like to keep the poor boy up several days.

iīll keep in touch!
    Beats my computer!! I did a stage 3 in less than 12 hours.

I have an Athlon XP 1700+ with 256MB ram (soon going to 1GB though )
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

oz
    forum.guy

How hard is it?

Not all that hard if you know your hardware, you pay attention to what you are doing, and you follow the installation handbook "precisely". It is very time consuming, though.

Many first-time Gentoo installers get it going on the first attempt, while some get it after 2, 3, or maybe even 6 or 7 attempts. Still, there are some that try and try, then finally give up. I think with most failures, it's because they didn't do as outlined in my opening sentence above.

Give it a go... it's a learning experience.

i started building another gentoo from stage 1. (people who saw my last post know i failed and i eventually used the genkernel). last time it wouldn't boot, this time i got it to boot, and now i'm without an internet
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Not all that hard if you know your hardware, you pay attention to what you are doing, and you follow the installation handbook "precisely". It is very time consuming, though.
    This can certainly be true and a lot of things like time and difficulty are really dependent upon your experience level. When I first installed Gentoo I used the Quick Install Guide. The entire install process took me much less time that when I first placed SuSE on my tower.

I doubt that a person relatively new to Linux could follow the Quick Install method as there are not a lot of details, and it assumes that an individual has a working knowledge of the GNU environment. Further, for a person who is not familiar enough with their hardware and kernel building, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using the nicely packaged Genkernel. I've rolled my own kernels in Gentoo and used Genkernel, and from a user perspective there is precious little difference in speed or performance.

Just don't get persuaded into the erroneous belief floating around out there that a Stage 1 install is this mystical procedure. I know a great deal about Gentoo and wouldn't hesitate to do a Stage 3 installation on anything I own. If you are familiar with the steps it can be done in less time than it takes to install Windows, and then you can tweak anything that you desire.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

hal
    Just Joined!
    sorry, i dindīt understand if you advise me to go for a stage 1 or 3 installation. iīm not new to linux at all, but never compiled a kernel (i.e.). iīll probably go for a stage 3 and when i learn a little more about gentoo, then iīll take the 1. again, thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast