Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I am a real noob with linux so sorry if this sounds stupid. I decided to take the plunge and try and learn linux so i started with gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo Noob Problem

Hey

I am a real noob with linux so sorry if this sounds stupid. I decided to take the plunge and try and learn linux so i started with gentoo as i would get into the right guts of it. So everything went ok and i followed the guide on the gentoo site the problem is when i try to boot up into gentoo. I used grub so i select gentoo then lots a rubbish comes up on the screen and some green "Ok"'s but then i hit a brick wall.

I get a error message that tells me:

"No such file or directory while trying to open dev/ROOT/Dev/root

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is vaild and it really contains and ext2 filesystem then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b8193<device>"

But my root partition is ext3 as the gentoo guide told me to make it that (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbo...?part=1&chap=10)
    So anyhelp would be great

Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    either you did not edit the /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab or you forgot to include support for your root filesystem IN the kernel NOT as a module!

Just Joined!
    yeah...lets see your /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab

Just Joined!
    Its ok guys i got it Cant remeber what i did but its all OK now

Thanks anyways

Just Joined!
    Hey Peve,
    I dont mean to be an ass, but the Idea of these forums is to ask for help and also to post the solutions when found to help others, some of whose help you may require in the future.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by skrye
    Hey Peve,
    I dont mean to be an ass, but the Idea of these forums is to ask for help and also to post the solutions when found to help others, some of whose help you may require in the future.
    PROBLEM SOLVED, SEE BELOW>

This is exactly why I've had to register and post this

I've got the same problem described above, same message. I was sure I followed the handbook to a T, however I intentionally didn't create a seperate boot partition so my /boot is on the root ext3 partition. Unfortunately I forgot to modify it from the default ext2 to ext3 in fstab before I rebooted and I believe this is causing the problem.

EDIT: apparently it tries to run fsck.ext3 on boot, which comes up with " no such file or directory while tryhing to open /dev/root" while running fsck.ext3 on /dev/hda1 (the root partitoin) it comes up clean

right now its listed as:

/dev/boot /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2

and root is

/dev/root / ext3 noatime 0 1

Also, if I didnt create a swap partitoin can I comment out the swap line without any problems?

SOLVED:

(in /etc/fstab) changing /dev/boot to /dev/hda1 (or your root partition) fixed this, I also commented out the boot line with no problem. woohoo im so elite

to remount your root partition read/write do

mount -no remount,rw /

yes exactly you guys didnt edit /etc/fstab as the handbook said to do! ! !

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ap=8#doc_chap1
    though the directions arent there with the old example as they used to be with the before and after views
    Last edited by loft306; 12-24-2005 at 02:54 AM.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Why we didn't edit the fstab correctly

Hi guys. I had the same problem. Being the total noob that I am, I didn't understand the conventions used in the default fstab file (the one created by gentoo). Anywhere there is something in ALL CAPS is where you should supply your own info.

For example where the fstab says:

/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 defaults 1 2

you dont actually leave it /BOOT. You change BOOT to whatever your boot partition is. I guess i didn't look at the handbook close enough becuase it shows it correctly in there. In their example, the boot partition is hda1, so you replace BOOT with hda1.

Hope this helps future forum searchers.