Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by jaboua Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng i have nvidia drivers but i didn't use them when i first booted gentoo. i just used the vga driver, then emerged ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    i have nvidia drivers but i didn't use them when i first booted gentoo. i just used the vga driver, then emerged nvidia afterwards (with lots of problems). if you are trying to use nvidia, try using vga first. if you are using vga then you are definately having a problem with portage.
    The MesaGL libraries is simply a opengl implementation using software rendering, not hardware acceleration... So if he's using VGA, he'll probably use MesaGL for 3d.

BTW, do an "emerge -S mesa|less" to look for packages mentioning mesa, if you find a mesagl package, emerge it and then try remerge xorg-x11.
    ok, gotcha. but
    Code:
    emerge xorg
    should get all the dependancies, including any openGL libraries. i'd assume that's what it did for me since everything worked fine.
    tuxxman, are you using the package CD? that should have the dependancies but it's not as reliable as the internet
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    ok, gotcha. but
    Code:
    emerge xorg
    should get all the dependancies, including any openGL libraries. i'd assume that's what it did for me since everything worked fine.
    tuxxman, are you using the package CD? that should have the dependancies but it's not as reliable as the internet
    It did get all the deps here too, every time I've tried, however it's worth a shot, maybe it was a faulty install?

Just Joined!
    In my experience libGL problems were mostly due to the proprietary ati driver, in your case maybe nvidia does the same. I would suggest doing:
    Code:
    eselect opengl list
    To see what opengl interfaces you have there, if any. Then (as root):
    Code:
    eselect opengl set <nvidia|xorg-x11|other?>
    (BTW, this does the same as opengl-update, which is deprecated.)
    If nothing shows up, you might have to install an opengl interface, like mesa, or reinstall nvidia's driver (updating the kernel for instance should break it, if it's anything like ati's).
    Hope this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I also heard that if you do emerge fluxbox (or whatever WM you need) then it will get the dependencies (including X11) for ya

i'd agree that should work, but i believe that the problem is a broken portage installation. tuxx, could you post back if you've fixed the problem?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2