Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just completed emerge of KDE 3.3.2 and the only screensaver is the blank screen. What happened to all the other screensavers ? Do I need to emerge screensavers seperately ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just completed emerge of KDE 3.3.2 and the only screensaver is the blank screen. What happened to all the other screensavers ? Do I need to emerge screensavers seperately ?

Sure, try this:
    Code:
    # emerge xscreensaver
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Just completed emerge of KDE 3.3.2 and the only screensaver is the blank screen. What happened to all the other screensavers ? Do I need to emerge screensavers seperately ?
    KDE 3.3.2 ????? Surely the "split e-build" of 3.4 is now the default ???

Perhaps you should look into updating your "profile", so that any updates would be for 2005.1, which, if I understand correctly, would give you all the latest versions on your next "emerge world/emerge -u world".

Some of the screensavers (I think), came as part of some of the "kdeartwork" packages plus the xscreensavers that St.Joe mentioned.

Just Joined!
    root@tux/>emerge -p kdeartwork

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
    [blocks B ] =kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
    [blocks B ] =kde-base/kdialog-3.4* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1)
    [ebuild NS ] kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1
    [ebuild N ] kde-base/kdeartwork-3.4.1
    Anyone have any advice ?

KDE 3.3.2 ????? Surely the "split e-build" of 3.4 is now the default ???
    Have you tried on a slow/intermittent internet connection from Africa ? The DVD I have (off magazine) came with KDE 3.3.2

Linux Enthusiast
    There's something weird here...

Linux Engineer
    Seems like "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4" and "kde-base/kdialog-3.4" are split-ebuilds also lying in the mega-ebuild "kde-base/kdebase", which "kde-base/kdeartwork" depends on. You have two solutions:

1) Emerge the split-ebuilds for the files in "kdeartwork", I'm pretty sure you'll find the name(s) with "emerge -S kdeartwork" or in /usr/portage/kde-base/

2) Drop to console-mode, unmerge "kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.4" and "kde-base/kdialog-3.4", then emerge kdeartwork

Just Joined!
    Did a stage3 re-install..(just for the experiment)..no more problems.

For the boffins....what exactly would the difference be in performance, time, etc, between the stage1 and stage3 install ?