Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well folks, I just got to stage 3 of my Gentoo installation, Is there a site that benchmarks the differences between using 1 and 3? Ive used pentium 4 optimizations ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo Stage 1

Well folks, I just got to stage 3 of my Gentoo installation, Is there a site that benchmarks the differences between using 1 and 3? Ive used pentium 4 optimizations because my processor is a Celeron Willamette (celeron with a p4 core, identical basically, just a different name to freshen up the celeron line).

Here is my make.conf:

Code:
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk ftp://mirrors.blueyonder.co.uk/mirrors/gentoo http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    USE="gtk gtk2 -qt -kde dvd alsa cdr"

Really you don't see any performance improvements with those optimizations. Those are pretty basic. I'm not sure what make.conf stage3 tarballs are compiled from, but they're pretty basic. The main benefits you get from building from stage1 are tweaking the USE flags. You can do this on your system now and then re-merge everything that got changed with the --newuse flag to emerge.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy