Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdie, I have a problem. I want to connect my Gentoo 2.6.11 box to my laptop via crossover calbe, just because they have Gigabyte ethernets and I get better speeds ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crossover connection...

Howdie, I have a problem. I want to connect my Gentoo 2.6.11 box to my laptop via crossover calbe, just because they have Gigabyte ethernets and I get better speeds than a LAN ftp, but when I connect the crossover nothing happens. I know there is something you have to do to enable it on Gentoo. I'm just not sure if it's a module or what. So if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Linux Guru
    So what else about your setup? Have you used the ethernet on your "box" to know that it works? How about on your notebook, or are you doing a new install? Can you confirm that the cable is a crossover cable and not straight-through and that the cable is good? If you answered 'yes' to all, I'm guessing that you have a driver problem. I think if you do 'lspci', you should see what NIC you have in the notebook and from that, with the help of Google, you may be able to find out what driver or module you need. Or you might Google the notebook model number.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    What about Gentoo modules, are there any modules for Gentoo I need to configure in the kernel? Do I need to modprobe anything? Add anything to
    Code:
    /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6
    ? My laptop is fine, crossover cable works for it. And the cable itself is fine. Would I be using eth0 for a crossover connection, or would it be some other configuration? Thanks again...

:P :P :P

Linux Guru

Re: Crossover connection...

Quote Originally Posted by EdRiZzLe
    I know there is something you have to do to enable it on Gentoo. I'm just not sure if it's a module or what.
    Quote Originally Posted by You also
    What about Gentoo modules, are there any modules for Gentoo I need to configure in the kernel? Do I need to modprobe anything?.... Would I be using eth0 for a crossover connection, or would it be some other configuration?
    Connecting 2 machines with a crossover cable is no different than any other ethernet connection. You must have networking built into the kernel. You must have a driver for your NIC (modprobe if it's not done automatically). If the NIC driver is not buit into the kernel, you must have the kernel built for loadable modules (LKM). You must have the NICs configured, as in ifconfig, with compatible IPs and netmask. You must have the route configured. You must have working hardware. If you have all of that, you should be able to ping both ways, using the IPs.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better