Find the answer to your Linux question:
After 3 tries at installing gentoo I finally got it done, but: When first botting after the install I get this error: mounting proc at /proc .... [ oops ] ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mount: command not found

After 3 tries at installing gentoo I finally got it done, but:

When first botting after the install I get this error:

mounting proc at /proc .... [ oops ]

line 17: mount: command not found

since this is a critical task, startup cannot continue.

Then I entered password and get a prompt:

(none) ~ #

Any help on how to fix this would be highly appreciated!
    Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Hm.. I forgot a little how to use the emerge command. You can take a look at the emerge manpage and look for the option that lets you find what package installs "/bin/mount".

Hope this helps..
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Code:
    emerge --searchdesc mount
    that'll give you a list of packages to install
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks alot for the replies. I tried that. I don't quite understand. I get a list of dev-libs/libff
    and dev-php/mod_php-4.4.0

I cannot emerge these. Is there a command package I can emerge? And do I have to be in a specific directory to do this? Please help, I am totally brand new to gentoo, and linux. Although I know windows and computer hardware extremely well. This is just so fustratiung, I followed the manual exactly. I want to get into gentoo to learn. Is there an on-line document or manual that I can read to familiarize myself with gentoo, and/or troubleshooting.

Thanks again for any help.

Linux Engineer
    if you use this command, I belive it will install/update whatever package "mount" lies in:
    Code:
    emerge --sync; emerge -NuD system

Just Joined!
    Hey thank you so much jaboua!! Got me past that error! I had two other errors which I was able to fix on my own. I am now able to boot up all the way!! Thanks again! I have network, and everything else I need (I think).

Two more questions though if someone might be so gracious as to answer. I get a fatal error on boot up (but I guess its not that bad if I boot all the way) its
    Module dm_mod not found
    should I be concerened, if so, how can I fix this?

Also, when I log in as a user al, not root, it says no /home/al
    Whats that all about?

The module dm_mod error is likely due to a kernel issue. Did you use genkernel? If not (as I would hope), you need to go through and find whatever is called dm_mod and compile it as a module.

Unfortunately, I dunno where to look. Probably under Device Drivers somewhere.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Ok no problem, I can find that. So I just re-do the kernel, then follow the same instructions in the handbook for installing it? I started from a stage 1, and I did my own kernel yes. I am emerging gnome now, so I'll wait on that. But I am learning alot, and getting the hang of it. Thanks everyone!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by al93535
    Also, when I log in as a user al, not root, it says no /home/al
    Whats that all about?
    Code:
    su -c "mkdir /home/al; chown al:users /home/al"
    That should work, assuming the group is called "users". If not, just replace the ":users" with ":groupname". Also, make sure that the user al is in the right groups, particulary groups like video and audio. If not, change it in /etc/group