Find the answer to your Linux question:
good evening gents. the name is jonathan. 14 years of age, and a not to shabby linux user for my age, but due to my lack of experience, i still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

conexant/rockwell predicament

good evening gents.

the name is jonathan. 14 years of age, and a not to shabby linux user for my age, but due to my lack of experience, i still have some problems

i use an asus jumper free board w/a pentium III coppermine proccessor, and a rockwell hcf dailup modem *GASP*.

i need to get my modem running, so i can download my x11, and my desktop interfaces, but the "emerge hcfpcimodem" command tries to go to the internet to download the modem drivers, and merge them, but this goes nowhere, because the modem doesn't work (because it needs the drivers first, which results in a failure), sooooooooooooo... i downloaded the drivers manually into the folder /tmp. How do i get emerge to use the driver i downloaded, it's the same file, from the same site, just downloaded from a different computer, and put onto the linux box's hard drive via floppy.

some help would be greatley appreciated

cheers

transfer the file to /usr/portage/distfiles as the .tar.gz file and don't change the name. if portage uses the same version as the one you've downloaded then it will emerge the downloaded file. just make sure you get the name right.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

more rockwell problems

i sucsessfully merged the hcfpcimodem driver (with special thanks to d38dmn8nw81k1ng who helped me )
    but i still have one small problem...

when i run "hcfpciconfig, i give the directory of my kernel build (/usr/src/linux, this one is from my old kernel, but my new kernel has the exact same error message), and it fails, all i can get out of the error message is the following (it is saved as a .txt file)
    (cd /usr/src/linux && make "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux" "M=/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules" clean)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6'
    rm -rf *.o GPL/*.o *.ko GPL/*.ko *.mod.c GPL/*.mod.c .*.cmd GPL/.*.cmd .tmp_versions /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/hcfpciosspec.mod /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/hcfpciserial.mod /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/hcfpciengine.mod /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/hcfpcihw.mod
    (cd /usr/src/linux && make "CNXT_KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux" "M=/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules" modules)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/mod_engine.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/mod_hcfpci.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/mod_hcfpci.c:131:
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c: In function `cnxthwpci_probe':
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:38: error: structure has no member named `slot_name'
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:57: error: structure has no member named `slot_name'
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:86: warning: `pm_register' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pm.h:106)
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:137: warning: `pm_unregister' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pm.h:111)
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c: In function `cnxthwpci_remove':
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:160: warning: `pm_unregister' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pm.h:111)
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c: In function `cnxthwpci_init':
    /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/cnxthwpci_common.c:195: error: structure has no member named `slot_name'
    make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/mod_hcfpci.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

i know i'm missing a file, but i don't know what "slot_name" is connected to. do i need a new kernel, did i forget to enable a module or option in the kernel configuration menu, is it an operating system problem? i'm kinda clueless at the moment

some more help would be greatley appreciated

cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

hcfpcimodem 1.10-r2 & gentoo-sources 2.6.18-r4