Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I was wondering how I can get specific users to access specific folders. I want one of my users to be able to access the apache htdocs folder, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Folder permissions

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering how I can get specific users to access specific folders. I want one of my users to be able to access the apache htdocs folder, and his home folder. The thing is I don't want the user to be able to access anything but those folders. I don't want the user to be able to add anything inside the home folder, I just want him to able to read, write, and execute in his own folder. I've been messing around with the permissions, and the users and groups wizard in gnome, but I can't seem to get exactly what I want. Are there any config files I need to look at?

It's entirely a group issue.

Let's do this:

Let's say that the user is userA. We will need two groups:

userA
    webStuff

userA should be a member of userA and webStuff, and NOTHING else (this includes "users").

/home/userA should have permissions of rwx------. He can read/write/execute, but no one else can. Owner should be userA, controlling group should be userA.

The htdocs folder should have controlling group as webStuff. The permissions should be rwxrwx---.

Basically, as long as he isn't part of "users", he shouldn't be able to access quite a bit of stuff.

Just Joined!
    Worked like a charm, thanks!

Now that I've figured this out. Is there a gnome app that will allow me to change a folders permissions and all sub folders at the same time?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I dunno about a Gnome app, but the
    Code:
    chmod -R ...
    command will apply the changes to the folder and all its contents / subfolders. "-R" stands for recursive, and many commands have it as a flag.