Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have searched and read just about every post here and I cannot solve this. I cannot get any resolution other then 640x480 in gnome. I edited my xorg.conf file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

screen resolution in gnome[SOLVED}

I have searched and read just about every post here and I cannot solve this. I cannot get any resolution other then 640x480 in gnome. I edited my xorg.conf file and set everything to 800x600, nothing changess. I try to run xconfigurator, and there is no file or directory of that name. I have tried the resolution selection in gnome, it is 640x480 and there are no other options. I have ran xorgconfig, and selectred only 800x600, and still I am at 640x480. Can I emerge a package with xconfigurator in it? Is there anything else I can try? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks alot, this is driving my crazy!

Just Joined!
    It isn't a Gnome thing, xorg is read by all your windows managers. Did you select the correct video card drivers? Check in your xorg.conf, I can't remember the name of the setting, but yours might be set to "vga". Not sure if this matters, I'm just going off my setup. On gentoo I have it set as "ati", on Arch it is set as "radeon". I'd assume nVidia is just "nvidia".

I only wanted to run my screen resolution as 1152x864, so I deleted all other entries in my xorg.conf. The next thing to do is make sure you have the correct horizontal and vertical syncs set properly. Mine weren't so I could never get over 1024x768. To get those settings look up your monitor book. I lost mine so I experimented using another monitor's settings. Sure enough they worked.

The best thing to do and hopefully you can do it, is press the monitor's settings button. When/If it displays the menu to change your screen colours and orientation, look to see if it displays the refresh rate and vertical/horizontal syncs ranges. If it does, plug the monitor into a computer with Windows. Set the Windows resolution to whateveryou want, then look at the monitor's menu and it will tell you the h/v sync rate. Put those into xorg.conf(you should see the settings for them in the Monitor section). If all goes well it should work.

Linux Engineer
    The xconfigurator is named "xorgconfig", and thought juvestar15's guide is good, I would reccomand you to try xorgconfig instead (easier to setup correctly).

The proprietary nvidia drivers (emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel) is named "nvidia". The open source ones (comes with xorg) is named just "nv". The general driver which works on most cards (but no 3d acceleration) is called "VESA".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I picked the intel I810 video card (generic) IT was the only I810 listed. I have went through Xrog.conf MAny times! As well as xorgconfig!
    What about xfree86? Can I emerge that somehow? Will it help? I have a feeling it is because of the generic video (I810) driver. But I don't know what other values to fill in, what to change, or whst else to do. Can I find out more info on the 810, and fill it in myself? What shoulds I look for?

Any help is really appreciated!!

Linux Engineer
    During xorgconfig, did you set 1024x768 pixels available in 24bit mode, and 24bit mode the default?

Xfree will probably not work any better since xorg is more often updated.

Linux Enthusiast
    I also had an i810, it is there in the intel bit, i know, cos i used it at 1600x1200, so, have a look for it, It must be there.

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot, I searched more and found it!!! SOLVED!