Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm semi-new to linux. Not so new to linux that I have no idea what I'm doing, but new enough that I get confused easily. I've been looking through man ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

binaries and emerge

I'm semi-new to linux. Not so new to linux that I have no idea what I'm doing, but new enough that I get confused easily. I've been looking through man pages (emerge and quikpkg), and I have some questions. Just to clear things up, binaries in Linux don't need to be compiled, right? Therefore it doesn't take a long ass time to build large packages. So if I was to

Code:
    emerge --buildpkg gnome-light
    and then save it to a CD, I would be able to pull the binaries from the CD and install them that way instead of having to compile them (which would take a long ass time).

If my thinking on this is right then would --buildpkg gnome-light build binaries for all dependecies as well, or would I have to manually build binaries for all dependencies?

Yes a binary package is just another way of saying precompiled.

Just Joined!
    Is my thinking right with --buildpkg? Just emerge with --buildpkg enabled and then burn the packages to a cd afterwards. Then next time I reformat my machine I won't have to compile the packages?