Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I m new to Gentoo Linux...i have never worked with linux before...i have windows operating system and a Virtual machine (VMWare Workstation)...and i m trying to install Gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting Gentoo Installation

Hi all,
    I m new to Gentoo Linux...i have never worked with linux before...i have windows operating system and a Virtual machine (VMWare Workstation)...and i m trying to install Gentoo in my virtual machine...so,as soon as the installation is goin to start...firstly it writes Welcome to installation cd...n all those commands like use ssh for this n all...n then it writes
    livecd root #
    n there if i m trying to write :: livecd root # emerge gnome xscreensaver
    then it tells me the error as -/bin/bash: emerge: command not found
    so,now what should i do??How to deal with this...what should i write here in this livecd thing??????
    Thanks in advance,
    shuch.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

this is the gentoo handbook. you WILL need it. however, since this is your first linux distro, i'd recommend you avoid gentoo and go with something a little easier, like SuSE, Fedora or Ubuntu.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    thats the live cd for gentoo, which is used in installation to the harddrive...you must follow the handbook, one of the first links on gentoo.org, you have to dl a stage tarball, dl a tarball of portage, compile your kernel etc...none of that is there at the live cd, you have to manually install a system before you can emerge anything...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs