Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
1/ The Gentoo handbook mentions two CDs -- an install disk, and a packages disc -- but the gentoo CD set I bought from linuxcd.org includes a thrid CD, called ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Considering installing Gentoo and was wondering....

1/ The Gentoo handbook mentions two CDs -- an install disk, and a packages disc -- but the gentoo CD set I bought from linuxcd.org includes a thrid CD, called the "Stages Disc". Does anyone know what this extra disc is for??
    2/ I already have a working dual boot system (suse9.3 and XP) and I don't want to disturb it. I'd like to install Gentoo on an empty partition I have, and I'd like to continue using my SuSE bootloader. My question is, can I completely ignore chapter10 of the Gentoo Handbook ("Configuring the bootloader")?? Will Gentoo be able to successfully boot without a bootloader??

In the past I've built Linux From Scratch up to the stage of a fully customized desktop system with KDE, OpenOffice, and all the bells and whistles, so i think I have the experience to complete this installation. The process of building Gentoo seems very similar to that of building LFS, but with slightly more automation -- I hope it won't take as long, or require as much repetition! Are there any pitfalls or traps I should be aware of whilst doing this??

I've read techiemoe's rants on the subject of Gentoo(Thank you techiemoe for the entertainment -- the windows vista rant had me in tears ) , so I'm prepared for a difficult time, but I guess the joy of linux is playing around with all the distros out there and discovering for yourself if they suit you or not
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I beleive the 3rd CD contains all the packages for the different stages. Such as KDE or Gnome for a stage 3 or some other apps for a stage 1 or 2. As for the 2nd question, I beleive you can triple/dual-boot as long as you configure your SUSE loader correctly.

For 1) The third cd contains the stage tarballs, since there are three stages you can install gentoo from (1,2 and 3). Though you can download these when you install, though if you have a slow internet connection it'd be eisier to use the stage cd.

2) I ignored the installing bootloader chapter, and, once I'd finnished installing I booted SuSE, and added a stanza for gentoo in SuSE's /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and it boots gentoo (as well as 3 other distro's).
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks gents, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I appreciate it!

I think I'm gonna attempt a stage3 install of gentoo in a day or two, as I don't think I'll be optimising quite enough to justify a stage1. Not yet anyway
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Linux Guru

Re: Considering installing Gentoo and was wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    My question is, can I completely ignore chapter10 of the Gentoo Handbook ("Configuring the bootloader")??
    You don't actually want to skip it, but you don't have to follow it. Read through it and take notes so that you know what exactly needs to go in the stanza that dylunio mentioned. Gentoo has a couple of variations in the boot parameters that I haven't seen in other distros I've used, like 'ramdisk' and real_root.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Thanks drakebasher, I'll keep that in mind.

I think I'm gonna attempt the installation later today, so I expect I'll be back later begging for help!

Cheers guys

Well as a recent "re-installer", I'd suggest that you do a stage 3 + GRP.

It's the quickest way to get the system up and running. Graphically.

then do any customisations etc, then do the updates.

the updates will take a while anyway. But even longer if you install too much.

I'd suggest just the base system and a window manager/desktop environment. Then mod the USE Flags (I put in all the ones that I might use or find handy). then do the updates, but use the p switch first i.e. emerge -upD world, which should tell you what it wants to update etc, or better still, emerge --newuse -upD world (sorry, I can't remember if the abbreviated switch for newuse is N or n).

That way it rebuilds any packages that might need to take advantage of any new USE Flags you put in, but it does the rest of the updates.

Then you can just happily "install away". It's only stuff like WM/desktop env, Open office and a few other real big packages that take forever to compile.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and if you install KDE, make sure that you get the latest version i.e. the version that is "split e-builds", not "monolithic". The difference being that the split one, means that you can install just the bits of kde (and any dependencies) that you want, and not the whole damn thing - which really does take forever to compile (15 hours last time I tried).

Quote Originally Posted by Drakebasher
    Gentoo has a couple of variations in the boot parameters that I haven't seen in other distros I've used, like 'ramdisk' and real_root.
    You only have to add these if you use genkernel.
    If you compile the kernel yourself you don't need these additions.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    You only have to add these if you use genkernel.
    If you compile the kernel yourself you don't need these additions.
    Shows how closely I pay attention. I just checked my recent stage 1 install and you're right: it's the most streamlined bootscript I've used. I remembered the genkernel boot parameters from some months ago.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    I like the streamlined bootscripts myself...not even an initrd!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast