Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just purchased a dual core pc. I ran a gentoo 2005.01 live cd and did a lspci and found out that my modem and tv tuner card isnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New PC

Hello, I just purchased a dual core pc. I ran a gentoo 2005.01 live cd and did a lspci and found out that my modem and tv tuner card isnt supported. This is what it says.

1) Multimedia Controller: ATI Tech Inc: Unknown device (4d52)
    2) Communication Controller: Conexant: unknown device (2f20)

Any help getting these working with linux would be appreciated. I personally thinking of installing Gentoo. I visited a site called linuxant that deals with Conexant modems, but aparently you have to purchase the driver. I have been told that an externel modem is the best for linux, since it connects through seriel port, and no drivers needed, but if I can atleast get the tv tuner card to work, it would be nice.

Thanks...Tester.

Linux Enthusiast
    Gentoo isn't exactly known for being the best at this. But we'll try anyway, that's what I'm here for, right? For the modem, I thought there was a trial version of the driver that you could use. Try it and see if you like it. It might be worth paying for. Because if you aren't buying a new modem, that's your only option. For the tv card, if it's ati, they might provide drivers for it. They do for their video cards.

ATi provide linux drivers? sorry mate, it ain't happening. if you are willing to get down to some hard work then you can try using the OSS radeon drivers, but don't get your hopes up
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    ATi provide linux drivers? sorry mate, it ain't happening. if you are willing to get down to some hard work then you can try using the OSS radeon drivers, but don't get your hopes up
    Well, technically, ati does provide linux drivers (at least for most of their cards). The quality of those drivers, however, is another matter. I spent a day playing around in gentoo trying to get my Radeon 9200 working, but in the end, I just pasted back my old xorg.conf file and gave up (this also happened about a year ago in suse 9.1).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Yep. At least the NVIDIA drivers work. This is why I refuse to buy an ATI card.