Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just finished a stage3 install using the genkernel, and in order to get my network working I had to re-compile the kernel with the driver compiled into the kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo Stage3 Installation. Genkernel -- Do I really need all those modules??

I've just finished a stage3 install using the genkernel, and in order to get my network working I had to re-compile the kernel with the driver compiled into the kernel instead of as a module. This did the trick, but I noticed that there were a million other network card drivers installed as modules, and I was wondering if any of them were necessary?? This must be taking up extra time during booting, and just adding bloat to the system.

So my questions,
    1/ Can I get rid of these safely??
    2/ Does all this additional bloat (if that's what it is) exist for the rest of my hardware, and can it be scrubbed??

Thanks for the support, it's really appreciated.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

yes, you can take them out the kernel, and yes it does add bloat. plus it can cause problems when it is trying to load your network card, which is what happened to mine when i somehow had two network cards compiled into the kernel.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?