Find the answer to your Linux question:
does anyone have any installation screen shots of gentoo 2005.1, i would just like to know what the installtion process is supposed to look like becuase last time i messed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar

installation screenshots

does anyone have any installation screen shots of gentoo 2005.1, i would just like to know what the installtion process is supposed to look like becuase last time i messed it up.

I'd love to help you but tons of screenshots of the command line are not exactly useful. Just follow the handbook to the letter. Seriously.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ndbook-x86.xml

If you don't have another computer near by, print it out (you can also use another virtual console to read it, but I prefer old-school paper).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

have you ever seen the cold, hard, black embrace of the command line...
    hehe, the install is all done through the shell, bash. like the guy above said, read the manual and you'll get an idea. it feels cool after you've installed it though
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I've just (two days ago) finished a Gentoo installation and it's almost as easy as any other linux installation. It's not a "Next->Next->Finish" installation like some - instead you'll be entering commands from the gentoo handbook.

The instructions are brilliant. Just stick with them (to the letter if it's the first time you've done it) and everything will go smoothly.

Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

thanx but i dont have a printer and cant really get to the library to print the instrutions out becuase im on house arrest. so to install it without printing it i just load the disk and use links, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn0420
    so to install it without printing it i just load the disk and use links, correct?
    Yes that's right. If you have a network that works via DHCP you'll be able to use links to view the online book from www.gentoo.org. If you don't you'll be able to view the html book on the CD in the same way.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

thanks, i like you, your a good help and your respond real fast. lol

Glad to be of assistance!!!

why are you under house arrest? methinks we should ensure we have our firewalls working, especially if he doesn't like us.
    j/k
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    why are you under house arrest? methinks we should ensure we have our firewalls working, especially if he doesn't like us.
    j/k
    i stole 2 cars, 2 head units, a cell phone, 2 knives, 2 counts of possesion,possesion in a school zone, paraphaniela, buglary, and i just got out of jail 2 weeks ago for a month. i got off pretty easy.