Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Last night I did "emerge world" for the first time on this recent installation. I also recompiled the kernel, but all I changed was to load the driver for my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

emerge -uvD world Now system cannot boot into X

Last night I did "emerge world" for the first time on this recent installation. I also recompiled the kernel, but all I changed was to load the driver for my sound card as a module instead of having it compiled right into the kernel. After this finished I tried to reboot they system, but the computer is having problems booting into X. A ton of error messages flash across the screen before the kernel booting messages appear, but they are scrolled off screen before I get a chance to read any of it. I've searched /var/log for any record of this, but with no luck. The only thing I've tried to fix it so far is to chroot to the gentoo partition and run the following
    Code:
    emerge --sync
    emerge --update --deep world
    But this has not solved the problem.

My questions are, does anyone know if the boot messages are stored anywhere, and if I can get my hands on them from my suse partition??
    Also, has anyone any idea of what I can do to fix this (without recompiling)??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

if gtk is mentioned in your problems then i am having almost exactly the same problem. for me bittorrent is refusing to load due to gtk not being found or something similar. i think it's possible to roll back your settings by remerging the old files kept in /usr/portage/distfiles in fact i'll try that myself.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    the simplest thing to do, would be to change your inittab back to 3 to boot to cli and not straight to gui...then when you start x just ctl-alt-f1 back to terminal 1 and you will see exactly where the hangup is...no need to reemerge your entire world file!

p.s. not to rub it in, but this is why you should keep your initdefault set to 3
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    p.s. not to rub it in, but this is why you should keep your initdefault set to 3
    Due to the way gentoo boots and uses it's rc system, if you tell xdm for example to start on boot, it doesn't matter if you have your initdefault set to three, since the bootscript still runs and starts X

So for one to boot straight into cli one would have to use the rc-update command
    Code:
    rc-update del script
    and replace script with things that start X such as xdm or gdm.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    [quote="dylunio"]
    So for one to boot straight into cli one would have to use the rc-update command
    Code:
    rc-update del script
    Yeah, it has to be xdm (the xdm initscript can start kdm, entrance, gdm or xdm)

If you have a nvidia card, you will have to remerge nvidia-kernel after every kernel build.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Due to the way gentoo boots and uses it's rc system, if you tell xdm for example to start on boot, it doesn't matter if you have your initdefault set to three, since the bootscript still runs and starts X

Code:
    rc-update del script
    Oh, I never thought about running a dm...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

smolloy
    by chance do you have an nvidia gfx card? if so check the versions of nvidia-glx & nvidia-kernel match in the major #'s like 1.0.7667 and 1.0.7667-r1 will work together but 1.0.7676-r1 & 1.0.7667 wont work together!( for somereason with my last emerge sync and emerge -uD world the versions emerged messed up)
    /me delt with this one earlier today

if this is the cause then you will have to mask the offending pkg in
    Code:
     /etc/portage/package.mask
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the help.

I set inittab to boot into single-user mode (init=1) so I could get a look at the error messages. There are dozens of them that scroll by very quickly, but they all seem to be roughly the same
    Code:
    rm: Cannot remove 'sys/........' : Operation not permitted
    It seems to be attempting to remove every single file in /sys during boot , but it doesn't have the right permissions.

loft306: I don't think I have an nVidia card, but I'm not sure Here's the output of lspci,
    Code:
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS200/RS200M AGP Bridge [IGP 340M] (rev 02)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 340M]
    0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
    0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
    0000:00:08.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
    0000:00:09.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
    0000:00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6912 Cardbus Controller
    0000:00:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
    0000:00:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
    0000:00:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
    0000:00:0c.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    0000:00:10.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
    0000:00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
    0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
    0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M
    As a solution I'm sure I could unmerge everything, but then I wouldn't be able to merge world again, and surely that's one of the benefits of running gentoo??

Thanks for the help guys.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Linux Engineer
    Seems like you have an ATI:
    0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair my gentoo installation, and clear the error messages??

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast