Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anybody else using ~arch?

I'm using the gentoo development tree, and I was wondering, Is it stable enough to use while bootstrapping and emerging the system? I'm upgrading gcc to 3.4 at the moment and I've gotta use ~arch, plus I prefer the bleeding edge .

the0r3tic:

When I first installed Gentoo, I too used the ~arch (~amd64), but found a lot of things like to break. More recently, when I redid my whole system I ended up using the stable branch but added packages to my /etc/portage/package.keywords file. Many things that I absolutely need were masked at the time for the stable branch. Other things, like the nvidia drivers for one thing, I wanted to be "bleeding edge" All I can say is that it works great for me! just issue a simple:

Code:
    echo sys-devel/gcc ~yourarch >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
    and emerge gcc.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well go for the rest of the toolchain; binutils gcc linux-headers and glibc. I STRONGLY suggest reading this forum post before your next emerge world:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...-tcupdate.html

Hope this helps,
    xiphias

Ah ok, cheers mate.

I'm trying a stage 1 install with that method.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I too use package.keywords. I used ~x86 for a day, but during the upgrade, something broke and the system wouldn't functionate correctly, so I started over again. I belive it was the gentoo wiki which first showed me the way of package.keywords.

Since I have a stage 1/3 install I have a few ~86 packages such as gcc 3.4, glibc, libstdc++-v3, and the ever important timezone-data. All seem to run well on the system and I havn't had any problems with them.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2