Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using the gentoo development tree, and I was wondering, Is it stable enough to use while bootstrapping and emerging the system? I'm upgrading gcc to 3.4 at the moment ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anybody else using ~arch?

I'm using the gentoo development tree, and I was wondering, Is it stable enough to use while bootstrapping and emerging the system? I'm upgrading gcc to 3.4 at the moment and I've gotta use ~arch, plus I prefer the bleeding edge .

Just Joined!
    the0r3tic:

When I first installed Gentoo, I too used the ~arch (~amd64), but found a lot of things like to break. More recently, when I redid my whole system I ended up using the stable branch but added packages to my /etc/portage/package.keywords file. Many things that I absolutely need were masked at the time for the stable branch. Other things, like the nvidia drivers for one thing, I wanted to be "bleeding edge" All I can say is that it works great for me! just issue a simple:

Code:
    echo sys-devel/gcc ~yourarch >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
    and emerge gcc.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well go for the rest of the toolchain; binutils gcc linux-headers and glibc. I STRONGLY suggest reading this forum post before your next emerge world:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...-tcupdate.html

Hope this helps,
    xiphias

Just Joined!
    Ah ok, cheers mate.

I'm trying a stage 1 install with that method.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I too use package.keywords. I used ~x86 for a day, but during the upgrade, something broke and the system wouldn't functionate correctly, so I started over again. I belive it was the gentoo wiki which first showed me the way of package.keywords.

Since I have a stage 1/3 install I have a few ~86 packages such as gcc 3.4, glibc, libstdc++-v3, and the ever important timezone-data. All seem to run well on the system and I havn't had any problems with them.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2