Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
You might be missing something then. Okay, so you checked the plugin in the preferences right? Gaim loads okay...What desktop environment are you using? Maybe your DE is not supported ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You might be missing something then. Okay, so you checked the plugin in the preferences right? Gaim loads okay...What desktop environment are you using? Maybe your DE is not supported by the tray plugin.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    gnome 2.10.2

Just Joined!
    crash, if you're having this many problems with gentoo, maybe you should go back to a binary distro such as Debian or Slackware? There are about 6 threads with your name on it.

Linux Engineer
    I agree. Gentoo is not that difficult if you know what to do (and read the manual and lots of tutorials), but it's not a distro to start your Linux journey with. Having problems with Gentoo and seeking help doesn't get you any prestige at all.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Having problems with Gentoo and seeking help doesn't get you any prestige at all.
    You use gentoo for prestige? That seems quite odd to me...Crash, stick with gentoo, its well worth it, getting everything setup can be problematic your fist time or two but its well worth it, don't listen to naysayers, but do make sure that gentoo is worth it to you.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Having problems with Gentoo and seeking help doesn't get you any prestige at all.
    You use gentoo for prestige? That seems quite odd to me...Crash, stick with gentoo, its well worth it, getting everything setup can be problematic your fist time or two but its well worth it, don't listen to naysayers, but do make sure that gentoo is worth it to you.
    I don't use Gentoo . You have to agree with me lots of newbies are tempted by Gentoo because it can make them more l33t. They are like 'hell, Mandriva goes well, it's getting too easy, so I must be ready for Gentoo'.

Guys: keep it friendly, will you?

Crashandburn0420: some googling will help you further, especially if it's about simple stuff. Don't expect people to be very inclined to help you when you are using very basic questions.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I removed some flames from this thread. For those of you new to this forum, I suggest very strongly you read the forum rules, particularly in regards to personal attacks:

http://www.linuxforums.org/rules.php
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I removed some flames from this thread. For those of you new to this forum, I suggest very strongly you read the forum rules, particularly in regards to personal attacks:

http://www.linuxforums.org/rules.php
    thank you that guy was pissing me off

I agree with genesus, I don't think any distro is too hard if you are willing to put some time into it. There's nothing wrong with being adventurous I'd also recommend you check the gentoo website and wiki, both have an awsome amount of information.

As for the original problem concerning Gaim, maybe try updating it to the newest version? It works fine for me (I use fluxbox). Have you done what has been suggested? I mean opening up a terminal, running Gaim and then playing around with the taskbar icon?
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    I agree with genesus, I don't think any distro is too hard if you are willing to put some time into it. There's nothing wrong with being adventurous I'd also recommend you check the gentoo website and wiki, both have an awsome amount of information.

As for the original problem concerning Gaim, maybe try updating it to the newest version? It works fine for me (I use fluxbox). Have you done what has been suggested? I mean opening up a terminal, running Gaim and then playing around with the taskbar icon?
    yes i have, and it doesnt do anything in the terminal, i think that there is just something wrong with the system tray. is there any progams i might need to install for the system tray?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast