Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Gentoo from a universal CD. I followed the handbook carefully and I don't think there is anything "strange" about my setup and the install went smoothly (this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Can't find service 'portmap' needed by 'netmount';

I just installed Gentoo from a universal CD. I followed the handbook carefully and I don't think there is anything "strange" about my setup and the install went smoothly (this time). I compiled a 2.6 kernel in a stage 3 install.

Each time that I emerged during the install, at the end of the process, there would be the messages
    • Caching service dependencies...
      Can't find service 'portmap' needed by 'netmount'; continuing...
    When I boot, I get the same messages just before the login prompt, with a suggestion to run './netmount broken' to see what dependencies are missing. When I ran '/etc/init.d/netmount broken', It says that it can't find service 'portmap' and it suggests I run '/sbin/depscan.h' to fix it. But when I do that, I get the same message that service 'portmap' can't be found.

I guess I need to install 'portmap', but I don't know where I would find that and I don't understand why it didn't get installed and at what point in the install that it should have been created.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Enthusiast
    can you use the internet and everything?

to get portmap (assuming you have internet access), do this:
    Code:
    emerge sync && emerge portmap
    "emerge sync" will make sure you have updated packages, and "emerge portmap" will install portmap for you

if you don't have internet access, than check back and i'll help you install portmap from the "Gentoo Packs" CD...CD2

Linux Guru
    Thanks for the reply, josolanes. This is a new install from the 2004.1 CDs. My intention was to get the system basically set up before doing a sync, so the best solution for me right now is to get the right file from my install CD if that is possible. So if it is a simple matter of doing 'emerge portmap', then that would be great. I guess I should check my emerge log to see if there was an error when portmap should have been emerged, since the handbook doesn't mention 'emerge portmap' as a separate step.

More detail of where I am:
    I recently did a stage 1 install on my "sandbox" system (system 1), using dial-up internet access. I intend to set up a local mirror so I can maintain 4 systems without downloading anything more than I need to, but I haven't got that mirror set up yet. I wanted to get the present system (system 2) installed from CD and then to sync it with my local mirror to prove the concept before installing to the other 2 systems.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Thanks for the reply, josolanes. This is a new install from the 2004.1 CDs. My intention was to get the system basically set up before doing a sync, so the best solution for me right now is to get the right file from my install CD if that is possible. So if it is a simple matter of doing 'emerge portmap', then that would be great. I guess I should check my emerge log to see if there was an error when portmap should have been emerged, since the handbook doesn't mention 'emerge portmap' as a separate step.

More detail of where I am:
    I recently did a stage 1 install on my "sandbox" system (system 1), using dial-up internet access. I intend to set up a local mirror so I can maintain 4 systems without downloading anything more than I need to, but I haven't got that mirror set up yet. I wanted to get the present system (system 2) installed from CD and then to sync it with my local mirror to prove the concept before installing to the other 2 systems.
    oh, ok...i'll help you install it from the cd then

to install portmap from the packages cd (assuming /mnt/cdrom is the mount point for your cdrom and that you've already mounted it...like this: mount /mnt/cdrom):
    Code:
    PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom" emerge --usepkg portmap
    that should do it

if it's masked, try:
    Code:
    PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom" ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge --usepkg portmap
    if it still doesn't work (because of being masked) than let me know what happens

Linux Guru
    Well I guess I got it, josolanes, thanks to you. I tried the first command, doubting its syntax, and instead of looking in the cdrom, emerge looked for the internet. Ultimately, I did the second command with an internet connection and it seems to have worked okay.

It's strange to me that I can't find 'portmap' in the CD: there is an ebuild under /usr/portage/net-nds/ and there are binaries in /mnt/cdrom/zisofs/sbin/ and /mnt/cdrom/zisofs/etc/init.d/ but while they are marked executable, they are not runnable. Hopefully wahtever version I downloaded will not conflict with my ancient 2004.1 install.

Thanks much for the help~
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Well I guess I got it, josolanes, thanks to you. I tried the first command, doubting its syntax, and instead of looking in the cdrom, emerge looked for the internet. Ultimately, I did the second command with an internet connection and it seems to have worked okay.

It's strange to me that I can't find 'portmap' in the CD: there is an ebuild under /usr/portage/net-nds/ and there are binaries in /mnt/cdrom/zisofs/sbin/ and /mnt/cdrom/zisofs/etc/init.d/ but while they are marked executable, they are not runnable. Hopefully wahtever version I downloaded will not conflict with my ancient 2004.1 install.

Thanks much for the help~
    oh...hmm...sorry it didn't work

it won't conflict with your install...it won't even look for a newer version than is known to your portage tree (until you sync, the version that is from the cd will most likely be the one that gets downloaded).

Linux Engineer
    if you continue to have problems with portage you can always

Code:
    cd /usr/portage/net-nds
    ls   --to get the exact version you see, then for example
    ebuild portmap-5b-r9.ebuild install
    Operating System: GNU Emacs