Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How can I get this machine to boot any of my Distros? I start the laptop up and hold down the C key when I hear the chime. But I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gentoo on Powerbook G3

How can I get this machine to boot any of my Distros? I start the laptop up and hold down the C key when I hear the chime. But I get a blinking folder.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Linux Enthusiast
    Does it still have Mac OS installed on it?

Is this a "new world" or "old world" pb? If it is an "old world", circa 1998 and before, then you can't just boot from CD. You basically have to install a separate boot loader and futz with it a bit to get the distro to install...plus not all your hardware will work by default...

If its "new world", different story...should be easier, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Linux Engineer
    g3s are new world
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

I beg to differ, as my G3 Powerbook (Wallstreet model) is an "old world" mac with the proprietary NuBus (or whatever it is called) hardware in it...

I beg to differ, as my G3 Powerbook (Wallstreet model) is an "old world" mac with the proprietary NuBus (or whatever it is called) hardware in it...

Linux Newbie
    Ive tried several Distros. At one time I had FC 4 running on it. When I tried to install Gentoo. I apparently deleted all the partitions on the disk. Including the MAC New-world partition. Now nothing will load on it. I want to install Mandrake 10 but I get to where it asks me to make a selection from where im installing. I choose CD-rom and I get an error message. It detects my devices, but once it starts loadin the program into memory I get a: Fatal error finishing initialization. Error message. I have tried Debian, Mandrake, and even tried to put FC 4 back on and nothing works. Please help.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by deek
    You are correct that PowerBook G3 Wallstreet is Old World. But it is not Nubus; Nubus Macs refer to those that lack a PCI bus (and therefore lack Open Firmware).

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lokoalex
    I choose CD-rom and I get an error message. It detects my devices, but once it starts loadin the program into memory I get a: Fatal error finishing initialization. Error message. I have tried Debian, Mandrake, and even tried to put FC 4 back on and nothing works. Please help.
    Does it detect CD at all? If not, than perhaps you should find a way to get to your BIOS (Open Firmware or whatever you have) and see if you could boot CD from there (maybe some settings in it were changed during your previous installs).
    If it does detect Linux CD, initializes it, but failes to continue, than see if you can at least install Mac OS. I am guessing that it may be the case that, for some reason, it needs to have Mac OS installed in order to work properly. If you can start, Mac OS installation CD, you should be able to create dual-boot setup, put Mac OS on first volume, and use second for Linux.
    I hope it helps.

spoon!, thanks for the correction...I know that I did just enough research to decide I was going to stick with OS X on my powerbook:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast