Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
1. A year, though I could have managed earlier. It installed without any major problems on the first try. 2. I'd probably suggest going with stage 3 to begin with. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

1. A year, though I could have managed earlier. It installed without any major problems on the first try.

2. I'd probably suggest going with stage 3 to begin with.

3. Yes. The gentoo documentation is IMHO the best I've come across of all the linux distros.

4. The easiest is having another computer close by connected to the 'net. I think printing it might be a bit easier than using links...

5. It feels faster. Some programs which I stopped using because I considered them slow have now become usable again And it's very configurable.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

1. I started Gentoo about a year after I got into Linux. Took me about 6 tries to get it to work, but it rocks. I <3 portage.

2. To being with, a Stage 3 is good. Unless you REALLY want to customize EVERYTHING in your install, go with a stage 3.

3. Gentoo Documentation is lovely. Very thurough and constantly updated. You can't go wrong with it, just follow it carefully.

4. If you want to install Gentoo, print out Chapter 1, the installation section of the handbook, only around 100 pages and it is enough to get you to the point where you have a system up and running, but with no GUI.

5. Gentoo is the God of configurability and speed. Don't ask dumb questions.

Re: i don't know if im ready...

1) Hmm...maybe a year? I migrated here from SuSE 9.2, and it took me a single try to get a working Stage1 installation.

2) My Stage1 took me 4 days. After these four days, I had Gentoo, X, KDE, and OpenOffice.org. So I was basically good to go. I have never tried a Stage2 or Stage3, so I can't really speak on those.

3) HOLY GODS YES. Read the Documentation to the letter and do not deviate AT ALL (unless you wish to use cfdisk instead of fdisk). Once it all works you can experiment, but during the installation, do EXACTLY what it says.

4) Follow budman7's advice and do a Knoppix install. I did this, and it makes life MUCH easier: you have Firefox to read the documentation online, Gaim to get help, XChat for Linux IRC channels, etc. This way, you also don't have to print out the 80 page Documentation either.

5) The package management system is comparable to Debian in that you have an easy-to-use system that handles all dependency issues for you. As far as speed and customability, I find Gentoo to be extremely fast, the only slow thing is the compilation time for new apps. For customability, you will never find a better distro. Gentoo, while it provides documentation, leaves all configuration to you, allowing you to really tailor your system.

Best of luck to you!

Linux Newbie
    1. Two weeks til my first Gentoo install. Took me three tries after finishing the main install part for it to boot properly. And many more tries til I got the framebuffer working correctly (I typeoed and put in video=vesabf:mttr,ywrap oops!).

2. The only thing that makes Stage 1 take longer is the hour or so that it takes to bootstrap. If you start it up and then let it go while you do something else, you could be fine with a stage one.

3. Yes, stick to the installation document. It covers 100% of the process.

4. I wasted some recycled paper on the docs. I'd say they are easier to read printed out than in links2.

5. Yes.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Linux Newbie
    Disgusted with Windows, I migrate to my first Linux distro....FC3. After a week of frustration
    with endless dependencies I tried Gentoo. I failed
    miserably about ten times and I kept trying....
    and they said a mule is stubborn ? .....hehehe.
    I finally succeeded

I would suggested that you gave stage 3 a try first. It's much easier....my opinion anyway.

Gentoo documentations is one of the best out there, like everyone here said, follow it to the tee.

I myself printed out the entire handbook, all 140+
    pages.... ..... I kept it next to my PC desk for
    quick reference.

and finally...yes, Gentoo is fast and highly configurable...

Linux Newbie
    well ... i think that really helps answer my questions ...

i will prolly be giving it a try fairly soon... i have the minimal install disk already ... but i believe (being too lazy to look this second) that there was an iso for stage three... might give that a shot... (methinks stage 3 will be best as a first try )

the suggestions on knoppix... are you saying just use the livecd! and install gentoo thru xterm (or aterm or eterm or konsole or whatever the hell knoppix has availiable?) this is possible? i was thinking of doing this on a pc that is relatively near another... (close enough to drag the monitor and use the wireless mouse...) which i thought would work rather than printing too.. the first pc i started running linux on was an older AMD 800 that is behind me right now... i started with the minimal install ... i actually did fine using fdisk ... which is how i left the partitions when i gave up on gentoo and isntalled mepis... but now that i know how to use cfdisk ... will def go that route

i appreciates everyone's comments
    happy computing!
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Newbie
    Dachnaz ... i notice it says you hail from minneapolis ... where in the twin cities are you exactly... (i live in Champlin right now )
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Having a computer and monitor right next to the one you are installing on is just as handy as using Knoppix to install Gentoo with.
    The handy thng is being able to view the command in another terminal or another computer while you are typing it.
    Some of the commands are quite long.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Exactly.
    : P
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Quote Originally Posted by fyrephlie
    the suggestions on knoppix... are you saying just use the livecd! and install gentoo thru xterm (or aterm or eterm or konsole or whatever the hell knoppix has availiable?) this is possible? i was thinking of doing this on a pc that is relatively near another... (close enough to drag the monitor and use the wireless mouse...) which i thought would work rather than printing too.. the first pc i started running linux on was an older AMD 800 that is behind me right now... i started with the minimal install ... i actually did fine using fdisk ... which is how i left the partitions when i gave up on gentoo and isntalled mepis... but now that i know how to use cfdisk ... will def go that route
    This is exactly what I mean.

The Gentoo installation is entirely user-run. The Gentoo Install Disc is a LiveCD in of itself which gives you a terminal, and you download stuff and run scripts. This can be done through the Knoppix terminal as well.

However, dragging another computer over may work just as well, if it's easier for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast