Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I have a gentoo box, which I have shared with Samba on my Active Directory Domain. I use it strictly as a media share. Now I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ripping CDs to MP3 from Command Line

Hello everyone.
    I have a gentoo box, which I have shared with Samba on my Active Directory Domain. I use it strictly as a media share.

Now I'd like to do something a little harder via the command line - rip CDs to MP3s.

I've gotten emerge'd copies of cdparanoia, cdda2wav, lame, id3ed, and mp3info. I'm looking for an easy way (maybe not too easy) way to rip, encode, rename, and id3 tag files.

I can rip them, I can encode them, but I can't see how to use the information gleaned from the CDDB to automatically make ID3 tags in the encoded MP3s or conveniently create a folder for the MP3s (with the Artist Name), another inner folder (with the album name), and rename the MP3s to the Track Number. Track Name.mp3 format like most "regular" encoders.

Maybe I'm missing a few simple steps, but any help would be appreciated. I'd also love a way for this to be automated with a simple script (probably run from an apache page).

OK - so it's not so simple, but I'd like to think it is.

Thanks,

--KMSIGMA

Just Joined!

Found a Solution

There is a frequently overlooked program called "abcde" (yes that's the name, I didn't make it up) whihc I have implemented and tested rather well. Now if I can only get RIMPS or a generic Web Interface running...

Linux Engineer
    There is information at http://freedb.org which will help you get going with getting cd info from cddb. Check the misc downloads section and the developers section.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close