Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone I have a small problem. For some reason with Gentoo (at least my installation) OSS emulation through alsa creates the dev point /dev/audio/dsp instead of /dev/dsp which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

permanently changing /dev/audio/dsp to /dev/dsp

Hey everyone I have a small problem. For some reason with Gentoo (at least my installation) OSS emulation through alsa creates the dev point /dev/audio/dsp instead of /dev/dsp which is where almost every program in the world looks for the device under OSS. It also for some reason creates /dev/dsp/ folder. So my solution has been to delete the directory /dev/dsp and then create a symbolic link. so:
    Code:
    ln -s /dev/audio/dsp /dev/dsp
    My question is can I permanently set a symbolic link or make this change another way which would be permanent. Thanks for your time.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    You could always attempt to copy the path to the new path which you believe is correct. Or you could add the symbolic link creation to the default runlevel, which would make it happen every time you boot up. It's a little more complicated and I think the ln command would have to be copied to /etc/init.d/ before it would work.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

but I also have to delete /dev/dsp first. Maybe the solution I'm looking for would alternatively involve permanently changing what ALSA thinks the dev point should be for oss emulation. I don't know where I would do this though. Also I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had an OSS dev point problem with Gentoo or if its just me. If that's the case then I must have done something wrong a long time ago when I did ALSA.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL