Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Genkernel will have compiled a bunch of generic drivers, so both your ethernet and wireless will be activated. If the wireless is the default that Gentoo uses on eth0, then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Genkernel will have compiled a bunch of generic drivers, so both your ethernet and wireless will be activated. If the wireless is the default that Gentoo uses on eth0, then that would explain your problems. You can compile a kernel without the wireless drivers, so that it won't work at all and the system will use the wired ones. Or you could probably just delete the ndiswrapper modules (I think?) and this will disable wireless support. I'm not sure how to do this as I don't have wireless myself.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

After some investigation eth1 is the wireless so I've de-activated it. The problem now is that eth0 refuses to start. I've made sure i've got the right kernel module by using "lsmod |grep natsemi" ,
    Code:
    natsemi                19776  0
    Then I made sure it was in the kernel,
    Code:
    localhost ~ # modprobe natsemi
    localhost ~ # modules-update 
    localhost ~ # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
     * Bringing eth0 up via DHCP ...                                               [ !! ]
    No success yet. I tried a restart,
    Code:
    localhost ~ # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
     * Bringing eth0 down ...                                                          [ ok ]
     * Bringing eth0 up via DHCP ...                                               [ !! ]
    Trying to use "dhcpcd eth0" gives no error messages, but it is executed suspiciously quickly, as if nothing is actually happening.

What am I doing wrong??

EDIT: Just in case it's relevant, here's the appropriate line from lspci,
    Code:
    0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Did you emerge hotplug?
    Does your /etc/conf.d/net file look like this?
    Code:
    config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
    dhcp_eth0="nodns nontp nonis"
    That is mine, I use a Realtek8139 network onboard lan with a router
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I just emerged hotplug and added it to the default runlevel. Still no success

My /etc/conf.d/net looks just ike yours.

This is a real head-scratcher Why does dhcp work with eth1 but not eth0?? Why does it not even try to get an ip address when I tell it to use dhcp?? Why does it come up straight away with the livecd but not with genkernel?? Why did it work with previous gentoo installations, but not with this one (to my knowledge I have not done anything different this time)??

1/ It's not a hardware issue since it works fine with suse.
    2/ It's not a due to problems with dhcp since the wireless works straight away.
    3/ The correct kernel module is there.

The only thing I can think of doing now is to recompile the kernel, and make sure that the network card module is compiled directly into the kernel, instead of as a module. Beyond that I would really appreciate people's suggestions.

Thanks for all the help so far guys -- I appreciate you thinking about this problem for me.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

I removed hotplug from the default runlevel and added it to boot -- still not working.

I then recompiled the kernel with all network drivers except for the relevant one removed, and I installed the right driver into the kernel instead of as a module. To do this I ran,
    Code:
    genkernel --menuconfig all
    I assume that when I reboot after doing this it will automatically use the new kernel -- is this true?? I didn't change its name so I assume that the old kernel will have been overwritten, and grub will now be pointing at the new kernel??

The only idea I have left is to completely reinstall the OS, so I'd love to hear any other suggestions.

Problem solved.

The /etc/conf.d/net should read,
    Code:
    ifconfig_eth0=( "dhcp" )
    I could have sworn that the "if" was not at the start in the default file, but the gentoo handbook now says it should be there. Whatever. It works now!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in on this one.

Linux Newbie
    So glad you got it fixed! As I was checking the new posts a few seconds ago, I saw that this topic now said "SOLVED," and I was like, "Dude, all right!" It's exciting to see a wierd problem solved at last. ^.^
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Quote Originally Posted by Dachnaz
    So glad you got it fixed! As I was checking the new posts a few seconds ago, I saw that this topic now said "SOLVED," and I was like, "Dude, all right!" It's exciting to see a wierd problem solved at last. ^.^
    It was a pain in the ass, and as usual it was a stupid mistake in a configuration file I'm just glad it's working now, cos I love working with a nice trim gentoo system, instead of my big, bloated, suse partition.

Can you tell me, now that I've recompiled the kernel with "genkernel --menuconfig all" will I automatically be booting into the new kernel?? Am I right to assume the new kernel will have overwritten the old one??

Linux Newbie
    I do not think so, one minute while I check my Gentoo Manual of Deth.

Assuming when you Genkernelled, your /boot partition was mounted, and your kernel version has the same name as your last kernel's version, it should boot up into the new kernel. To check, use

Code:
    ls /boot
    If you see only one file called kernel-* then it will boot up into this kernel. If you see more than one, it's because Genkernel either didn't overwrite the last one and compiled to a different name, or you compiled a new version. No worries if this is the case! ^^ Just use

Code:
    nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf
    and set the path of the kernel to the correct kernel. The syntax of this file will be easy enough for you to just copy the Gentoo boot lines and replace a few numbers to get the correct kernel path. It should look something like this...

Code:
    title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.13-r5
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda4
    But naturally with the correct kernel path and root path. Hope this helps!
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Thanks for the fast response Dachnaz!

/boot only contains one kernel file, so the recompiled kernel must have overwritten the original. Looks like the recompile went as well as I hoped!

Thanks again -- you've been a great help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2