Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to connect via eth0 (normal wired connection) to my router via dhcp, and I have been successful in doing this... kinda... The thing is that it only works ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble with internet on Gentoo [SOLVED]

I'm trying to connect via eth0 (normal wired connection) to my router via dhcp, and I have been successful in doing this... kinda... The thing is that it only works sometimes. On boot it might connect in a second, or it might just sit there til it times out after about a minute. When it is connected it suddenly stops working for minutes at a time, before just picking up where it left off -- for example, it might be happily emerging something, pause for 5 or more minutes, and then pick up where it had stopped. The connection behaves the same way when browsing the web with firefox -- sometimes it's fine and sometimes it pauses.

Now I know you're thinking "hardware problem", and I'd agree with you except for one fact. There is no problem with the network when I boot into Suse!!

I'm sorry for a post containing so little detail, but to be honest I don't know what else to include. Has anybody had this happen to them?? Can anyone give me a pointer?? Have I to reinstall Gentoo again ??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    What type of router do you have? Also have you tried what ever tech support person would tell you;shut you computer down and unplugg your modem and plug it back in 30 seconds later?

Thanks for the reply crashandburn. I have a Netgear MR814v2, and I haven't tried to turn it off and on, however I'm sure this isn't the problem. I observe the problem when using Gentoo, and then boot into Suse and all is fine, which tells me that the problem is specific to Gentoo, and that I have done something wrong. Perhaps I mis-configured some file, although I checked my config and it's just like in the handbook, or perhaps I haven't emerged some crucial software.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this behaviour before, or if anyone new where I should start looking for a fix. I really have no idea what else to do

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Fixed bad spelling
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just for the record, I tried power cycling the router and the problem was not solved. I have also tried altering the contents of /etc/conf.d/net to include,
    Code:
    iface_eth0="dhcp"
    #dhcpcd_eth0=""
    I have also tried the "dhcpcd_eth0" line without the comment symbol. The last thing I tried was to comment out the following line from /etc/conf.d/net,
    Code:
    #iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
    I was unsuccessful with all of this.

I could be wrong but the nature of the problem seems to have changed. On booting I now get a message stating that (from memory),
    Code:
    Problem starting needed services
    "netmount" was not started
    I tried this from the command line,
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/netmount start
    But this gave the same error as on boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Have you tried

modprobe <nic module>
    modules-update
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Thanks for your reply budman. I tried what you suggested with no success.

But.

After playing around for a bit I got exasperated and tried dhcpcd eth1 and all of a sudden I was online! The weird thing is that I have always been using eth0 up to this point, and not eth1. I've been online with eth0 for the last week before this problem arose, so how the hell did it suddenly become eth1??! I'm confused....

Linux Newbie
    Well if it works as eth1, just remember that this works, and use it. If it isn't broken, don't fix it! ^^

It sounds like a kernel problem to me. Although I had wierd connection problems with my old Belkin router (DHCP on the router was always going crazy and disconnecting me).
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Do you have a nic card and an onboard nic?
    That is the only thing I could think of that would giveyou an extra eth
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Thanks for the replies budman and dachnaz, I really appreciate it.

Dachnaz: What do you mean by a kernel problem?? I've only recently installed gentoo, so I was lazy and just used the genkernel. Along with coldplugging at boot the device recognition should be as good (I think) as the liveCD. Searching around I'm pretty sure the right module (natsemi) is there for my ethernet.

Budman: I have an onboard wired card, and an onboard wireless card, and I am starting to suspect that Gentoo might be using the wireless instead of the wired connection. This would explain the bad connection since my wireless card is broken and only works intermittently -- this is pretty easy to check, so I'll do that when I get home.

Now that I'm back online the original problem has reared it's head. That is, the connection works well for a few minutes and then dies for a while. When I ping google, sometimes I get a 100% success rate, and sometimes I only get 20% packets received. As I said above, this *might* be related to gentoo somehow only picking up my bad wireless connection, and this is easy to check (ifconfig should tell me, right??), however this leaves me with the problem of figuring out why my wired connection isn't recognised under gentoo

Thanks for your time guys

have you tried disabling one or the other, system could be getting confused as to which one to use

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast