Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by smolloy Originally Posted by lordnothing ... upwards of 22+ hrs.. I decided to ctrl-c out of the installation (I hope that's OK to do) and postpone it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    ... upwards of 22+ hrs..

I decided to ctrl-c out of the installation (I hope that's OK to do) and postpone it to the weekend when I can leave my computer connected to a network for 22+ hours, and when I don't need it to be doing other things!!

Cheers guys.
    You don't have OO on SuSE?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    to save time, you can always just type in vim and typeset with latex, then dvipdfm to a pdf
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    You don't have OO on SuSE?
    I do, but I've recently decided to use gentoo as my main system.

I started with linux a year or so ago and used RH9. I also installed xandros, then suse, to play around with. After a while SUSE became my work horse and it stayed like this for about 6 months, until I started playing with gentoo. Now that I've been using it for a while, Gentoo has usurped SUSE as my main OS.

My only problem now is which OS to play with next.....
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    to save time, you can always just type in vim and typeset with latex, then dvipdfm to a pdf
    Right now I'm writing my PhD thesis, and I'm doing exactly as you suggested -- vi->latex->dvipdf. In fact, after the disaster of attempting to write my MSc thesis on MS Word, I swore I would never write another document using it! The only reason I want openoffice is to read files sent by people thoughtless enough to send them in .doc or .ppt format.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Using Gentoo gives one a renewed appreciation for Slackware...

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Right now I'm writing my PhD thesis, and I'm doing exactly as you suggested -- vi->latex->dvipdf. In fact, after the disaster of attempting to write my MSc thesis on MS Word, I swore I would never write another document using it! The only reason I want openoffice is to read files sent by people thoughtless enough to send them in .doc or .ppt format.
    I'm gonna use it for my dissertation, currently am using it for my fieldstatements...I love latex...I totally understand the frustration of .docs...I just use cat doc to read them from terminal...though this is quite messy
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    Slackware? That aging grand-pa of Linux? Ha. I tried it once, and the install was just so very, well, non-intuitive compared to Gentoo. That's my taste. Why do you bring Slackware up though?
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Quote Originally Posted by Dachnaz
    Slackware? That aging grand-pa of Linux? Ha. I tried it once, and the install was just so very, well, non-intuitive compared to Gentoo.
    You find the Gentoo install more intuitive than Slackware? Mmmkay...
    Why do you bring Slackware up though?
    Uhmm... because Smolly uses Gentoo and posted that he is having a problem deciding which distro to try next?

Danchez, just in case you're taking this too seriously, don't. It's just a little good natured ribbing which we all engage in from time to time. I'm sure Smolloy took it in the light hearted way it was intended. Especially since I included a smiley after my post.

Danchez, just in case you're taking this too seriously, don't. It's just a little good natured ribbing which we all engage in from time to time. I'm sure Smolloy took it in the light hearted way it was intended. Especially since I included a smiley after my post.
    Don't worry folks, I took it in the spirit in which it was meant

I tried Slackware a while ago but got completely lost in the installation. That was before I successfully installed LinuxFromScratch (right up to a working KDE!) and Gentoo, so I guess I could probably manage it with little difficulty. But (and this is all my own, unimportant, not-worth-listening-to, opinion, so let's not have a holy war over it ) I'm not really sure what the point would be. The point in Slackware (I think) is to do things the old school way and have complete control over your system, however I think Gentoo provides plenty of control (although maybe portage couldn't be called old-school!).

I'm thinking of going for something slightly more off the beaten track and fun. For example, a distro that doesn't appear in distrowatch's "major distro" list.

EDIT:: On re-reading my post it looks like I'm overly dissing Slackware. All I was trying to say is that, for the moment, I am happy with Gentoo, and I don't think Slackware offers anything extra of interest to me. No disrespect meant to any Slackers reading this!

EDIT:: On re-reading my post it looks like I'm overly dissing Slackware. All I was trying to say is that, for the moment, I am happy with Gentoo, and I don't think Slackware offers anything extra of interest to me. No disrespect meant to any Slackers reading this!
    What do you mean by that!!!!!

Just kidding...

No offense taken. That's what Linux is all about. Finding the distro that suits you, not everyone else. Smolloy, if you've done the Debian thing, then I'm not sure what there is left. What have you not tried that looks interesting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast