Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
genesus has a good point. Get a workable system up first and then emerge what you need after that. At least that way you can be semi-productive. Also, way to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

genesus has a good point. Get a workable system up first and then emerge what you need after that. At least that way you can be semi-productive. Also, way to go.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    It does, and some compiles on insanely long...wait till you emerge openoffice
    I started installing openoffice a couple of days ago and it crashed after 17hours of compiling -- TWICE!! It was with a different error each time, so I'm trying a third time. Apparently it takes ~24hours to fully compile it
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

smolloy, if you get no joy this time, you could download the binaries from Linuxpackages. They're working good for me.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    smolloy, if you get no joy this time, you could download the binaries from Linuxpackages. They're working good for me.
    Cheers DapperDan. I'm kinda being stubborn about this, cos I know you can get the binaries from portage, but I really want to see if there is a notable difference between the version compiled on my machine and the pre-compiled version I use on suse. I'm not in any particular rush since I have OO on suse and MSOffice on windows.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Cheers DapperDan. I'm kinda being stubborn about this, cos I know you can get the binaries from portage, but I really want to see if there is a notable difference between the version compiled on my machine and the pre-compiled version I use on suse. I'm not in any particular rush since I have OO on suse and MSOffice on windows.
    Or, rather than downloading them, you can get the binaries through portage

emerge openoffice-bin
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

emerge openoffice-bin
    Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I knew I could get the binaries from portage, but I really wanna see if there's any difference between the version I compile on my machine, and one that comes pre-compiled.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy

emerge openoffice-bin
    Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I knew I could get the binaries from portage, but I really wanna see if there's any difference between the version I compile on my machine, and one that comes pre-compiled.
    There is a difference; however, you may not notice much if you are on a high end machine...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3