Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
*scratches head*. Hmmm, still no joy. Here's what I did: make menu-config added Rhine support and saved, then copied as 'newkernel-blah' over to /boot changed /boot/grub/grub.conf so as to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

*scratches head*.

Hmmm, still no joy. Here's what I did:

make menu-config
    added Rhine support and saved, then copied as 'newkernel-blah' over to /boot
    changed /boot/grub/grub.conf so as to boot newkernel-blah

Still giving same error message eg Eth0 not found, net-mount not started.

When its bootin' it failes to autoload module 3c59x. Could this be the missing link? Its in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.

Failing that and on the assumption that I have done everything correctly - which obviously I havent or I wouldnt be typing this! - the only other option I can think off is adding bridging support in /etc/conf.d/net cos I am using this - or trying to! - in VMware. It says to use this i need to emerge net-misc/bridge-utils. Am I barking up the wrong tree here (noob remember?) Should I stick with Suse?

Once again, all help/suggestions warmly received. Thanks again.

EDIT - I think I know what the problem is. As I am installing this on a *virtual* machine, my *real* network card is neither here nor there cos VMware will have its own virtual one. For example, lspci from VMware says this:

Ethernet controller" Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10)

ok, am about to do some googling....

Just Joined!
    just to verify, after you did your
    make menuconfig
    you did run
    make && make modules_install
    before you copied over your kernel to /boot?

Also, there is no need to load the 3c59x module if you do not have hardware... that was given in the guide as a n example, so you should delete it from your autoload file.

Just Joined!

No internet at boot - SOLVED

The problem was as stated above. VMware is *virtual* and therefore uses a virtual network card, not my real one (Rhine). I just recompiled and included support for the virtual network card and all good. Phew!

As a side note, I have just started out with linux and think I have learned more about how linux *works* by installing Gentoo than I have with 2months of Suse (which, I guess, says how user-friendly Suse really is).

Now I have to get Gentoo up and running. i daresay i'll be posting again v soon. Haha!

Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Glad to hear that you got it working.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thanks budman7.

The problem would of been solved earlier had I done lscpci from within VMware to check my network card. I was in Suse at the time and (wrongly) assumed that VMware would use my real network card.

Still, lesson learnt in this somewhere ....

Quote Originally Posted by ipsofacto
    Thanks budman7.

The problem would of been solved earlier had I done lscpci from within VMware to check my network card. I was in Suse at the time and (wrongly) assumed that VMware would use my real network card.

Still, lesson learnt in this somewhere ....
    Thanks for that bit of info.
    I have no experience with vmware and did not realize that it would use a virtual device.
    It does make sense though, now that I think about it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsofacto
    The problem was as stated above. VMware is *virtual* and therefore uses a virtual network card, not my real one (Rhine). I just recompiled and included support for the virtual network card and all good. Phew!

As a side note, I have just started out with linux and think I have learned more about how linux *works* by installing Gentoo than I have with 2months of Suse (which, I guess, says how user-friendly Suse really is).

Now I have to get Gentoo up and running. i daresay i'll be posting again v soon. Haha!

Thanks for the help.
    Hello im facing the same problem as you, but i don't get where you configured the virtual network card support in the kernel. I'm using kernel 2.6.17 ( gentoo-sources-r8 ).

EDIT: Ok i misunderstood, i retrieved the name of the virtual network card trough lspci. In my case it was the pcnet32 module to be used. Thanks for your post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2