Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was just wondering if any of you gentooers had done the migration from GCC3.3 to 3.4 ?? If so, did you do the fast version or the long version?? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GCC migration

I was just wondering if any of you gentooers had done the migration from GCC3.3 to 3.4??

If so, did you do the fast version or the long version?? Has anyone had any difficulties with the riskier fast version?? Is it really worthwhile recompiling my whole system with the new compiler??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

ive done it both ways but without that nice doc so i have mucked it up more ways than you can imagine... :P but it is gentoo and totaly fixable given enough time but i would recomend tha 2nd way it realy is safer but the emerge -e will take a long time (like usually 3 times longer than the origional install)
    now off to do it on this box i think
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

So the second (longer) method is gonna take the amount of time it took to install everything I have ever emerged multiplied (approx) by three!!?? Does that include the already ridiculously long openoffice compile??

I noticed this result when I did "emerge -s gcc",
    Code:
    *  sys-devel/gcc
          Latest version available: 3.4.4-r1
          Latest version installed: 3.4.4-r1
          Size of downloaded files: 27,834 kB
          Homepage:    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
          Description: The GNU Compiler Collection. Includes C/C++, java compilers, pie+ssp extensions, Haj Ten Brugge runtime bounds checking
          License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2.1
    It looks like my last emerge world updated gcc, so I guess I really should go ahead and re-compile my entire system.

It sounds like it could take DAYS to complete!!
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I actually just finished my update. I took the longer method, and it took me about 1.5 days to recompile everything.

That said, I use ccache, so I dunno if that might have helped or not. But yeah...wasn't too bad.

I've just finished the first part of the long re-compile -- "emerge -e system" -- and that took 6hours15mins!!! As far as I can tell "emerge -e world" recompiles everything that "emerge -e system" does along with about 200 other files.

This is gonna take a looooooong time :sleep:

I did a hybrid of the two methods.
    First, I did this emerge set:

# emerge --sync && emerge -uav gcc
    # gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4
    # source /etc/profile

Then this emerge:

# emerge gcc binutils glibc

And finally these:

# revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5 -- -p -v
    # revdep-rebuild --library libstdc++.so.5
    # emerge --oneshot sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
    # emerge -aC =sys-devel/gcc-3.3*

This was done on two gentoo boxes and both were successful.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    As far as I can tell "emerge -e world" recompiles everything that "emerge -e system" does along with about 200 other files.
    emerge -e world is waste of time unless you have to recompile everything! For the GCC update I might have done emerge -e world, but for normal system updates, emerge -NuD is enough (only remerge packages which can be upgraded or is changed because of useflags change + deep).

Yeah, that's what I normally do, but this time it seemed to make sense to recompile everything with the new version of GCC.

It's been running for about 40 hours now and I'm half way through openoffice -- about 10 hours to go......

It is said that once you have compiled any toolchain items (gcc, binutils, glibc etc), you should do
    Code:
    emerge -e system
    emerge -e system
    emenge -e world
    emerge -e world
    to make sure that all the pragrams are campiled with the latest version of the toolchain.

Take note, that I rarly do this, and when I do I tend to be going on heliday or on a trip since I don't want to be here when it's emerging all these programs.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I did emerge -p system/world first, and world re-compiles all the same stuff as system plus an additional ~200 files, and the toolchain items were amongst the repeats. I thought this should take care of it.

Do you have a link to where it gave that advice??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast