Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a really bad experience with the 2.6.14-r2 Gentoo-patched kernel. Everything just seems really bogged down. I have an identically configured 2.6.13-r6 kernel that runs just fine! But everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

2.6.14-r2 Gentoo Kernel - Slow?

I'm having a really bad experience with the 2.6.14-r2 Gentoo-patched kernel. Everything just seems really bogged down. I have an identically configured 2.6.13-r6 kernel that runs just fine! But everything in X seems to lag. The mouse lags when apps start up, the windows leave an icky trail when I drag them around - all of which do not occur under the older kernel. Ideas?
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

I'm pretty sure I'm using a 2.6.14 kernel (I'll check when I get home), and I have noticed that there is sometimes a trail when I expand a window. I don't remember seeing a trail when I am moving a window, and the mouse seems to respond just fine, so it sounds like your problems are worse than mine.

EDIT:: Confirming I have 2.6.14-r2
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    i just installed that kernel and it seems to be working a little bit faster for me.

Linux Engineer
    I haven't noticed any slow down at all with this kernel, it works just fine for me...maybe try a reemerge?
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer

Re: 2.6.14-r2 Gentoo Kernel - Slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Dachnaz
    The mouse lags when apps start up, the windows leave an icky trail when I drag them around - all of which do not occur under the older kernel. Ideas?
    That happened to me when I installed gnome 2.12 before... But have you tried a vanilla 2.6.14? To see if there is any differense?

i got rid of that kernel and want back 1 kernel it didnt like ndiswrapper-1.5 and a few other things.... but looking at how many gentoo kernels that have come out in the last 2-3 weeks you can tell that there was alot of kernel patching going on
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I'm having a really bad experience with the 2.6.14-r2 Gentoo-patched kernel. Everything just seems really bogged down. I have an identically configured 2.6.13-r6 kernel that runs just fine! But everything in X seems to lag. The mouse lags when apps start up, the windows leave an icky trail when I drag them around - all of which do not occur under the older kernel. Ideas?
    Hello !
    Have you watch to your kernel config and check if you have dri and appropriate driver for your video card ?
    I'd this problem when i try to install ati radeon proprietary driver which seems to doesn't work at all...
    And to make easier help we can bring to you, please post your xorg.conf here...
    Maybe configuration problems can appear here too...

Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk3008
    Hello !
    Have you watch to your kernel config and check if you have dri and appropriate driver for your video card ?
    I'd this problem when i try to install ati radeon proprietary driver which seems to doesn't work at all...
    And to make easier help we can bring to you, please post your xorg.conf here...
    Maybe configuration problems can appear here too...
    He has probably allready configured X, so I don't think that's the problem. Lack of 3d-acceleration (like DRI) wouldn't make 2d stuff lag, it would mostly affect the 3d stuff. Some drivers give better 2d acceleration too, but not so much that without it the windows would lag.

Just Joined!
    Don't use gentoo-sources, as the so-called "enhancements" actually can bog down the system immensly, so use vanilla-sources. Also, make sure your card is supported in the kernel AND in X.org, because there's no point in having one and not the other.