Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've got myself an acer travelmate 4651LMi lappy. pretty great it is too. here's the specs: Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz GeForce Go 6600 80GB SATA HDD Full Intel Centrino Deal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installation on travelmate 4651

i've got myself an acer travelmate 4651LMi lappy. pretty great it is too. here's the specs:

Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz
    GeForce Go 6600
    80GB SATA HDD
    Full Intel Centrino Deal (Wireless etc)
    1400 x 1050 res screen (15")
    etc

I tried to install Gentoo when i first got it, but to no avail. The CD is loaded to the point where i choose a kernel. if i use the gentoo kernel, it will boot up, but i cannot see the splash screen, and thus don't know if it is fully working. if i use the gentoo-nofb kernel it doesn't even boot up, freezing after the last bootup process (before the splash screen is supposed to appear). i can still see the text telling me it's loading and all the dots afterwards but nothing happens.
    I have since installed SuSE and it works almost perfectly, meaning that there must be some setup that will work. i tried to install slackware too, using the sata.i kernel, which, surprisingly, couldn't detect my SATA hard disk when i tried to use cfdisk. please help as i still have windows on my machine, from when i was still testing suse to make sure everything worked and i really really want to get rid of it.

PS. if this seems a little bit of a "new guy" post, it's because i've just copied and pasted this from my post in the gentoo.org forums, which is my first post there
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Enthusiast
    Something like Kanotix has really good hardware detection, so would LFS if you did it for that machine, try BSD as well, really nice OS