Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
I can't find any info on the /sys folder in the FHS and I was wondering what is in it and what it's for. If I erased it using a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414

    What is the /sys folder for and can I delete it?


    I can't find any info on the /sys folder in the FHS and I was wondering what is in it and what it's for.

    If I erased it using a liveCD would it be regenerated next time I boot Gentoo??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  2. #2
    Linux Guru loft306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The DairyLand
    Posts
    1,666
    err... it seems to have device information in it (hardware information) i wouldnt nuke it
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

  3. #3
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    I thought so.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm getting a load of errors on boot that say that it is trying to rm each and every folder in sys but can't, so I was wondering if I could erase it with a liveCD and then it would be regenerated next time I boot into Gentoo.

    Perhaps I'll just rename the folder to see what happens -- that way I'll at least have a backup if it dies.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  4. #4
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I thought so.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm getting a load of errors on boot that say that it is trying to rm each and every folder in sys but can't, so I was wondering if I could erase it with a liveCD and then it would be regenerated next time I boot into Gentoo.

    Perhaps I'll just rename the folder to see what happens -- that way I'll at least have a backup if it dies.
    I think SysFS is a kernel filesystem, placed in /sys.

  5. #5
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    Right, I don't see it in the standard hierarchy either. Maybe it's an artifact from some old standard.

    Just curious - is it a symlink to a different directory?

  6. #6
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Right, I don't see it in the standard hierarchy either. Maybe it's an artifact from some old standard.

    Just curious - is it a symlink to a different directory?
    I thought sysfs was something very new, from 2.6.13 or something?

    EDIT:
    From wikipedia:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    Sysfs is a virtual file system provided by the 2.6 Linux kernel. Sysfs exports information about devices and drivers from the kernel device model to userspace, and is also used for configuration.

  7. #7
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    How about that. It's there on my SLES installation as well.

  8. #8
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    How about that. It's there on my SLES installation as well.
    SLES = ?

  9. #9
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    Sysfs is a virtual file system provided by the 2.6 Linux kernel. Sysfs exports information about devices and drivers from the kernel device model to userspace, and is also used for configuration.
    I wonder if that means that it's safe to erase since the kernel will regenerate it on boot??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  10. #10
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    SuSE Linux Enterprise Server.

    http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver/

    There is an instance of it installed on a VM (Virtual Machine, before you ask ) on our mainframe that I use for testing some things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •