Find the answer to your Linux question:
My problem is the error I get in the title. It happens when I try to start distccd like this: Code: computer josh # /etc/init.d/distccd start /sbin/runscript.sh: line 31: /var/lib/init.d/softlevel: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

/sbin/runscript.sh: line 31: /var/lib/init.d/softlevel: No such file or directory

My problem is the error I get in the title. It happens when I try to start distccd like this:

Code:
    computer josh # /etc/init.d/distccd start
    /sbin/runscript.sh: line 31: /var/lib/init.d/softlevel: No such file or directory
     * Starting distccd ...                                                   [ !! ]
    computer josh #
    I installed Gentoo on my brother's computer in the same way (I made a script to do most of the work) and also installed distcc the same way (emerge distcc). Distcc starts on his computer, but not mine.

Can someone please help me with this? I'm just now experimenting with distcc as my brother recently installed gentoo (...or, I installed it for him) and I'll now be able to compile things much faster.

Thanks in advance!!

You might try merging baselayout again:
    Code:
    emerge -e baselayout

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    You might try merging baselayout again:
    Code:
    emerge -e baselayout
    ok, thanks a lot for the suggestion...i'm doing that now

Linux Enthusiast
    ok...i found out that this wasn't the problem (baselayout). it's because i'm using initng (rather than the default init). i'm now using init instead...initng has small problems occassionally, and i'm curious to see how distcc works

now i'm wondering how to get distccmon-gnome to actually display what's going on. distcc seems to be working (my router lights up a lot now installs go by much quicker), but distccmon-gnome shows nothing

Linux Enthusiast
    ok...i figured out what was wrong with distccmon-gnome. i didn't set the DISTCC_DIR

in gentoo (using portage), it would like this:
    Code:
    DISTCC_DIR=/var/tmp/portage/.distcc distccmon-gnome