Find the answer to your Linux question:
As the title says, is it possible to update all of the Gentoo systems on a network from one computer (also Gentoo)? A script or program that I might find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Possible to update all Gentoo systems on a network from a single computer?

As the title says, is it possible to update all of the Gentoo systems on a network from one computer (also Gentoo)? A script or program that I might find to do this? Or if someone could list some steps to doing this that would be great too.

I'm just starting to use networking in Linux (or atleast linux-linux networking) and I'd like some fairly descriptive explanations if possible. Or point me in the right direction to find the information on this.

Thanks in advance!

I should think so. I have never done the following, but I have done it locally (via chroot) to update another partition that I have (also Gentoo, that I use for testing and unstable packages).

Basically, if you can ssh into a remote computer and obtain root privileges there, you should be able to use it as you would your own. This includes emerge and the like.

So I should think it possible, yes.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I should think so. I have never done the following, but I have done it locally (via chroot) to update another partition that I have (also Gentoo, that I use for testing and unstable packages).

Basically, if you can ssh into a remote computer and obtain root privileges there, you should be able to use it as you would your own. This includes emerge and the like.

So I should think it possible, yes.
    ok, thanks. i was thinking along the same lines as you (ssh and chroot). how would i ssh into a system? as i've said, i have very little linux-linux networking experience. also, i have openssh installed and it's blocking ssh, so i would like instructions for openssh if possible (or how to emerge ssh instead.....maybe unmerge openssh??).

thanks a lot!!

I dunno much about ssh, but I found something on the Gentoo wiki about it:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Index:OpenSSH