Find the answer to your Linux question:
I confess I don't pay much attention to the world file. I understand the idea is to not have it contain entries which are only dependencies of other packages, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

World File

I confess I don't pay much attention to the world file. I understand the idea is to not have it contain entries which are only dependencies of other packages, but I just can't seem to find a sane way to prune it down to only what is required.

What is a good method to manage this file properly?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Are we talking about the file /var/lib/portage/world ?

You shouldn't have to do anything to this file. It contains all packages that were explicitly emerged (that is, not simply dependencies of something else). This is used to keep track of them, as well as to prevent revdep-rebuild from removing them.

Why exactly do you need to prune it?

EDIT:

Ah, I see.

You shouldn't need to do it manually. Take this example:

I emerge "gnome". "gnome" is added to my world file, and "app-text/gedit" or whatever it's called is emerged as a dependency. You don't need to do anything, it simply isn't added to the world file in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    You shouldn't need to do it manually. Take this example:

I emerge "gnome". "gnome" is added to my world file, and "app-text/gedit" or whatever it's called is emerged as a dependency. You don't need to do anything, it simply isn't added to the world file in the first place.
    It would seem odd that you do not have any package dependencies in your world file. Perhaps I am simply a poor warden. To me, these just seem to accumulate over time. You gave an example of a meta-pkg and the scenario you presented makes sense, but most of what I emerge are just individual ebuilds, and many of these are seemingly strict dependencies of other packages.

Here's a few examples of what is in my world file and the package it is depended on by:

dev-libs/libcdio depended on by media-video/vlc
    dev-libs/expat depended on by dev-lang/python
    app-cdr/cdrdao depended on by app-cdr/graveman
    app-crypt/gnupg depended on by mail-client/sylpheed
    app-misc/screen depended on by x11-terms/eterm
    app-text/enchant depended on by app-office/abiword
    app-text/psutils depended on by app-text/a2ps

It would seem that in each of these cases (and others like them) that I could and should remove the dependent ebuild from the list, and simply leave the package which in turn requires the dependency. It does not appear to make any sense leaving the non-depended upon packages in the world file since this is not where they belong.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.