Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Man i cant start gnome,I just emerge it from the pkg cd with emerge -avk gnome ,And went to the manual and done the echo "and so on......... hit startx ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

gnome

Man i cant start gnome,I just emerge it from the pkg cd with emerge -avk gnome ,And went to the manual and done the echo "and so on......... hit startx and back in xterm,Its here somwhere how do i start it?

You have to specify which WM/DE for X to use. Edit /etc/rc.conf and see the XSESSION variable. On a user basis, you can specify the WM/DE to use in your ~/.xinitrc. This may not exist, so create it and put the following in it:

Code:
    exec gnomesession
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Or, just check in /etc/rc.conf and set your login manager to gdm, and set your Session to Gnome.

Then, at the prompt, type in
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/xdm start
    and that should bring up gdm, so that you can log in to gnome.

That is, if you have setup your X server correctly, and have the correct drivers for everything.

If it doesn't work, try posting your Xorg log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

gnome

Cool guys but now i cant log in ,I got gnome running then configured login manager done the rc-update add xdm default,Then change the xdm to gdm in the /etc/rc.conf what now?

Is your userdata is not accepted or some kind of an X issue?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Engineer
    xdm reads .xsession (or it may be .Xsession , can't remember for sure) instead of .xinitrc, and iirc it needs to be executable. Easy way for startx and xdm to play nice with each other is to set .xinitrc executable and symlink .xsession to it. And I think it's gnome-session, not gnomesession, so your .xinitrc should look like:

exec gnome-session

If gnome is not installed into a normal path, or if the normal path isn't set when loading .xinitrc, you may need to put it like this:

exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

Of course, substitute the correct path in place of /opt/gnome . If you're not sure where it's installed, then using the locate or find commands could help you. If you got anything else in .xinitrc , you should probably comment them out by putting a # at the beginning of the line.

gnome

Yes but i cant get into gnome i just get login screen i cant login as root or user and if i cant login i cant change anything i just get login screen,and my .xinintrc is correct but how can i see what i cant acsess.
    This happend after configureing login manager.

NetBsdtoaster, that was uncalled for.

Mactabilis, if you add

exec gnome-session

to your .xinitrc file in your users home directory, you should be able to log into gnome.
    Use nano to put that line in there, I have always found it easier than doing the echo command, because after doing the echo command I still have to go and check the file to make sure it is the way I want it. With nano you know that it is right.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

gnome

Ok i will put it like this when i "rc-update add xdm default" i could no longer login to my gnome desktop ,But i can get the terminal by doing ctrl+alt+f1 at gdm my .xinitrc looks fine and is set at "exec gnome-session" and XSESSIONS is set to gnome,Ok this is the error i get when i startx from terminal ,

Code:
    Host name lookup faliure

fatal server error server is allready running

remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again "i did"

please consault xorg foundation and so on

xlib: conection to ":0.0" refused by server

xlib:invalid mit-magic-cokie giving up

xinit:unable to connect to x server

xinit:no such prosess(errnos 3): server error

gnome

And net/bsd toaster ,I can not see very well at all so im doing ok even getting gentoo kernel to boot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast