Find the answer to your Linux question:
what's the easiest way to get a gentoo-sources kernle or nitro2, archck, acid-sources kernel? well really whats the easiest way to get your kernel working without having so much knowledge ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Easiest way to get a kernel?

what's the easiest way to get a gentoo-sources kernle or nitro2, archck, acid-sources kernel? well really whats the easiest way to get your kernel working without having so much knowledge on manual config? Anyway to get like a genkernel idea that configs the kernel automatically according to your system specs automatically ? smartly ?

I dunno if there's anything like that, I'm afraid.

What you might consider is emerging gentoo-sources and having a go at a manual configuration. You'll need to know your hardware and filesystem types (but you should know the fs types from the install), but there is pretty good help for every single option in the kernel.

Just run
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    from the source directory, and you can press "?" while highlighting any option. Most also include a recommendation if you don't know what it does.

Anyway, once you've done that, just keep your old kernel image around (which I assume is genkernel?). That way, if you screwed something up, you can just choose to boot from the old image from the bootloader menu, or pop in Knoppix and fix up the images.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNyc
    Anyway to get like a genkernel idea that configs the kernel automatically according to your system specs automatically?
    Yes, that job belongs to you.
    Read the wiki entry Compiling A Kernel in Gentoo.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well im building gentoo right now, so I'll do both build my own kernel and build 1 with genkernel

Genkernel is highly suggested with any Gentoo installation. It makes life a whole lot easier. To get the kernel, just "emerge gentoo-sources" and then cd /usr/src/linux, make menuconfig, make && make modules_install. Reboot, and wa-la, your done.

Linux Engineer
    I recommend you the following guide (it's for 2.6 kernel).

http://kerneltrap.org/node/799
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Varean
    Genkernel is highly suggested with any Gentoo installation. It makes life a whole lot easier. To get the kernel, just "emerge gentoo-sources" and then cd /usr/src/linux, make menuconfig, make && make modules_install. Reboot, and wa-la, your done.
    That isn't Genkernel, that is the vanilla kernel with Gentoo specific patches. Genkernel is "genkernel" and you build it a different way. It includes pretty much everything build as modules so it is easier for new people. I have never actually used it, but that is the way it is explained in the handbook.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Yeah, my bad. :/ The way I compiled my kernel, using genkernel was that instead of make menuconfig, I did "genkernel --udev all" then I built all the modules. Check the kernel guide on the gentoo site for some more specific instructions on how to use genkernel.

I highly suggest compiling your own kernel. And I don't believe that genkernel is highly recommended by too many people. Compiling your own kernel is not that difficult and if you want to tackle gentoo then compiling the kernel is a piece of cake compared to the whole install plus everything else. One of gentoo's goals/purposes is for high customization and indviduality to your needs and system. Genkernel IMHO does not fit into this mold. It will help if for some reason you can't get your kernel to work by yourself but give it a shot it will take less than 30 minutes and then you will know you're way around a 2.6 kernel. Something in my opinion is very valuable for future linux endeavours.

Just my 2 cents.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

I remember the first time I compiled my own kernel. It took me around an hour to do, because I wanted to get everything right. Well, I didn't, and I rebuilt it 2 more times because I forgot things.

Now, it is second nature. The more you do it, the faster you learn.

I usually use gentoo-sources, as I like having the gentoo patch-set. If it weren't for the patches they apply, I would just get the vanilla sources and compile it myself and also patch it myself. But why patch it myself, when they have good patches I want anyway.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry