Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK im getting a bit ambitous at the moment i want to install gentoo BUT i have one hard drive...its an 80gig with win2k...if i partition lets say between 8 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Would between 8 an 10 gigs be enough??

OK im getting a bit ambitous at the moment i want to install gentoo BUT i have one hard drive...its an 80gig with win2k...if i partition lets say between 8 an 10gigs into fat32 (since win2k is on ntfs, want to eliminate any conflicts) would i be able to install gentoo on it? i was going to use the computer i built for my buddy last week end since all his parts came in...but he wasnt home so i asked his wife...and she rambles for about 35-40minutes on her theory of "if you move a computer it can die" GAH! i know its not because shes a woman...im pretty da** sure its because she was born here in the sticks...and knows about as much as computers as a car mechanic knows about software compiling ...sooo im getting a little drastic i think in wanting to install gentoo on this drive...but i just hope its possible...

Between 8 and 10 may be okay, depending on what you want it for. If you want to use a GUI as well as the full office suite, you might have a few space issues, but overall you may be okay.

Also, I don't understand the FAT32 / NTFS issue. I have had before an NTFS partition with Windows and an ext3 partition with Linux on the same hard drive...

oz
    forum.guy
    Ahh, shame on you dlippiett... it's considered naughty to cross post the same topic in different forums...

http://www.linuxforums.com/forum/t52...or-gentoo.html

(just so you'll know the next time )

Just Joined!
    oops! i actually forgot that i posted this one too...sorry...<bows to the admins im not worthy delete this thread> lol. sorry i cross-posted

Linux Engineer
    I've used 10 gigs for gentoo /-partition many times before, it's enough... However, stating that it's enough, I assume you will use it for the system files, not for 50 gigs of videos

closed please continue with the above linked thread
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org