Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone tried it out yet? I'm thinking about downloading the .iso with the installer on it, although I do feel a bit odd considering I never use alpha software, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo GUI installer

Has anyone tried it out yet? I'm thinking about downloading the .iso with the installer on it, although I do feel a bit odd considering I never use alpha software, I usually don't use beta, and occasionally I'll use RC's. I'm not a developer, etc.

I've installed Gentoo countless times since the 2004.2 iso, I'd just like to make life easier on myself and not have to put out a lot of work (I have time to install but parroting commands is not how I want to do it).

So is this stable and whatnot? By definition, of course it's not as it's alpha but does anyone have any personal experience from installing it through the GUI installer? Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

try it if it is available it probably works! just take the leap hell most of the unstable gentoo stuff works flawlessly anyways with a few hicups here and there

/me heads off to grab the installer to try it and if it no workie will file a bug on it so that it will be fixed eventualy
    Last edited by loft306; 12-24-2005 at 05:47 PM.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

OK, thanks.

It's version 0.2, and I read a review of someone using 0.1 I believe and they said it was great so I might just do it. Unfortunately I have to wait til later until I can download the 700MB file because my parents limit bandwith usage to certain times (when they aren't on their computers).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    lol................................
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I know, it's not fun.

I should get my own account through SBC global. Although my dad has mentioned that if I go through an ethernet connection (RJ-45) that he would just leech off of it, so I'm basically screwed until I move out.

I tried the Gentoo gui installer and did not like it. It was the very first one they put out.
    They had the option to do a stage1 install, but when I tried it, I was told that the tarball could not be found. Even when I gave it the exact url.

Same problem when I tried the stage3.

So I tried using the ncurses installer, and I kept recieving errors.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I also tried it when it first came out and had some rather nasty experiences with its partitioner. It put me off enought to wait it out a bit before giving it another go. I'd be interested to hear of a happier account.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

budman7 - same thing with me, I just saved the tarball manually and browsed for it.

Overall it won't boot but it at least came close. I left the house for a while and when I came back I saw "Installation Complete" I was pretty giddy until I rebooted. The framebuffer on everything was screwed up so I could barely see Grub but from what I could see it gives me the error "Error 17: Cannot mount root partition" or something. I guess I'll just boot up into the live cd and play with some stuff, definately in the grub conf and some other stuff I should prolly check out.

Overall, I'm impressed that I could leave the house and have it finish by the time I get back versus waiting for a free command prompt so I could parrot another command to it. On the other hand, it didn't worked and that's the bottom line, and beyond that it's alpha software and it was my test partition so it doesn't matter really. With some work I can actually get the gentoo install up and running.

I forgot to mention that while using the Gentoo gui livecd I could not get online using my Realtek ethernet card.
    I had to put in my USB ethernet adapter in order to get online.

It should be noted that with the universal livecd that uses the cli, in order for me to get online with my realtek card I had to delete the eth0.pid file and then do "net-setup eth0".
    But this did not work with the Gui livecd.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ