Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 Rhine-II rev74, and I just did a Gentoo stage 3 minimal install. The ethernet would connect when I was booting from CD, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Gentoo network card will not connect after kernel compile

I have a VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 Rhine-II rev74, and I just did a Gentoo stage 3 minimal install. The ethernet would connect when I was booting from CD, but now that I have compiled a kernel, it won't connect. I have included a driver for Via Rhine ethernet cards. During boot, it says "bringing up eth0", then "Error: eth0 does not exist". I've tried setting the nic on static IP, but the same problem exists. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mr.popper

Quote Originally Posted by mr.popper
    I have a VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 Rhine-II rev74, and I just did a Gentoo stage 3 minimal install. The ethernet would connect when I was booting from CD, but now that I have compiled a kernel, it won't connect. I have included a driver for Via Rhine ethernet cards. During boot, it says "bringing up eth0", then "Error: eth0 does not exist". I've tried setting the nic on static IP, but the same problem exists. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mr.popper
    Did you build your network card in the kernel or as a module? If you build it in the kernel, are you sure you built in the correct one?

If you build it as a module, you have to put the module name in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 to be loaded at boot.

Or you can do it manually by doing thiis:
    Code:
    modprobe modulename
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd eth0
    That will bring your eth0 up. Also, you may have to edit /etc/conf.d/net and make sure that you either use a static or dhcp at boot when you get your module loaded. That is the config file for your network devices.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I built it in the kernel, and I built in the Via Rhine one, I don't know if that's the right one or not. I seem to remember something about dhcpd not being installed, during my first boot. I"m not sure though, because I think I remember emerging dhcpd.

Just Joined!
    the errors appear right after I the computer starts entering runlevel 3.

Code:
    Starting eth0
    Bringing up eth0
    eth0 does not exist

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.  "netmount" was not started

Did you emerge dhcpcd?
    You should also emerge the "livecd-tools".
    That will allow you to run "net-setup eth0"

To emerge these, just chroot into your system from the livecd.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I have exactly the same problem, with the difference that eth0 worked perfectly till yesterday, when I recompiled my kernel with the same exact configuration as before. The strange thing is that in /dev there is no eth* device!

What could the problem be???

When you updated your config files in /etc, it is possible that you overwrote an important one.

Check
    /etc/conf.d/net
    /etc/resolv.conf
    resolv.conf-eth0.sv
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by mr.popper

mr.popper
    Perhaps this page may help you Mr. popper:

http://www.scyld.com/ethercard_drivers.html