Find the answer to your Linux question:
techieMoe you have always been helpfull to me. Please help me with this if you can. I havent given up on my FlashLinux for my pendrive. I just need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

techieMoe you have always been helpfull to me. Please help me with this if you can. I havent given up on my FlashLinux for my pendrive. I just need to get Gentoo on this new machine. Im trying to reinstall Gentoo on a new machine. Only thing is that it wont recognize my network card. I have tried net-setup eth0. (didnt work) ifconfig eth0 (doesnt recognize my network card) I have a cd with the driver on it but I cant mount the disk to extract the tarball which I doubt would work since I cant configure the kernel yet. How can I get me Marvell Yukon network card to work so that I can do a Stage 1 install. I also tried modprobe sk98lin. (didnt recognize the command) Please help. I need to reinstall this before the end of the day. Thanks
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

I moved this post to its own thread since it's a separate issue. I can't help you with this one, unfortunately, but hang in there and we'll see if someone else can.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I have the same network card (onboard a Asus P4P800 SE motherboard), and never had an issue with it. Installing the driver manualy? Useless since it has been part of the linux kernel for some time now. Even with a 2.4.27 it worked perfectly, with no configuration or manual driver installed.

I use Debian Sarge.
    Tryed Debian Etch, Debian Sid, Fedora Core 4, Ubuntu, Vector Linux, Arch, Suse, Damn Small Linux, Knoppix, GeeXbox, etc.

... they all worked out-of-the-box.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    I have the same network card (onboard a Asus P4P800 SE motherboard), and never had an issue with it.
    Same here. I have the same card on the same motherboard as mentioned by antidrugue above and had no problems installing Gentoo with it. The only thing I can think of is that you might try "modprobe skge" if sk98lin isn't working.

I have the same onboard network card, and I usually have to do a
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd eth0
    from the live cd. The livecd uses the sk98lin module for it, but it works fine if you bring it up manually like that. I would imagine that you could always
    Code:
    rmmod sk98lin
    modprobe skge
    if the manual way doesn't work, and then redo it with the skge module.

On my hard drive install, I use the skge module. Works like it should.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

Lightbulb need to apply kernel patch

Quote Originally Posted by lokoalex
    techieMoe you have always been helpfull to me. Please help me with this if you can. I havent given up on my FlashLinux for my pendrive. I just need to get Gentoo on this new machine. Im trying to reinstall Gentoo on a new machine. Only thing is that it wont recognize my network card. I have tried net-setup eth0. (didnt work) ifconfig eth0 (doesnt recognize my network card) I have a cd with the driver on it but I cant mount the disk to extract the tarball which I doubt would work since I cant configure the kernel yet. How can I get me Marvell Yukon network card to work so that I can do a Stage 1 install. I also tried modprobe sk98lin. (didnt recognize the command) Please help. I need to reinstall this before the end of the day. Thanks
    I had exactly the same problem. Somewhere in the 2.6.x (2.6.7 i think)series kernel, this broke. even though sk98lin module is part of the livecd and release, it does not work.

The solution is to get the driver from

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect...tm/sk9elin.htm

read the installation instructions. I compiled it as a kernel patch and it works.

hope this helps.

let me know if you need more help.

I have the same nic too on my main pc I have 2.