Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i'm looking to try and install the latest version of wine from source. I'm having trouble installing some software with the portage version of wine, so i'm going for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xorg/X11 Libs in 64 bit?

Hi, i'm looking to try and install the latest version of wine from source.
    I'm having trouble installing some software with the portage version of wine, so i'm going for the latest release from winehq to see if thats any better.

During compilation i get an error
    [code]make[2]: *** [ddraw.dll.so] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [ddraw.dll.so] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jsolan/wine-0.9.5/dlls/ddraw'
    make[1]: *** [ddraw] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jsolan/wine-0.9.5/dlls'
    make: *** [dlls] Error 2
    [\code]

Which according to what i've found, it seems like i need X11 libraries. There is a package libX11 which is masked. I've been able to unmask it and all its dependencies, but they conflict with the Xorg i already have installed.

Is there something i'm missing? It seems the xorg libs should be easy to get. What package do i need? or am i barking up the wrong tree and need to research my wine error more?

Linux Enthusiast
    what error do you get trying to install it through portage? it's probably a better idea to install it through portage..as it'll stay continuously updated and you can remove it if you wanted to in the future

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    what error do you get trying to install it through portage? it's probably a better idea to install it through portage..as it'll stay continuously updated and you can remove it if you wanted to in the future
    Sorry for the delayed response, i forgot i had asked this question.
    Thanks. WINE installs fine through portage, the problem comes when i try to install software through wine.
    When trying to install ultimate bet poker software i get this:
    Code:
    err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 LoadLibraryExW (L"c:\\Program Files\\UltimateBet\\ubcustom.ico") failed, error 193
    Its not really a big deal if i get it working or not, i might just switch to a web based poker site.

On installing steam/counter strike it seems to install fine, but steam always tries to update which dies at 26%. I've read on other forums that this happened to other people and just retrying they eventually got through.... well i've retried at least 100 times and still nothing.
    I might just try cedega, as i'm interested to see how well it works.

On the other hand i hate when things don't work so i'm not giving up just yet. I might wait until the next portage release of wine though, to see if thats any better.

I don't disagree with your statement that portage is better, but i still like to install my own software from source sometimes as i often like features in source that are ahead of the "package curve".