Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 10 of 10
i tried to install gentoo linux on my 40GB hard drive and failed.I was using universal livecd.after creating partitions,applying file systems,activating swap and mounting the partitions the problem starts when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8

    No space left on device after extracting stage tarball error!!


    i tried to install gentoo linux on my 40GB hard drive and failed.I was using universal livecd.after creating partitions,applying file systems,activating swap and mounting the partitions the problem starts when extracting stages/stage3-pentuim4-2005 from the cdrom.it will extract the files but then 'it says no space left on device,tar delayed from previous errors and now exiting".is 40gb of space not enough or what am i doing wrong? help i want to install these!!

    thanks

  2. #2
    Linux Enthusiast gruven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    541
    First you need to tell us your partition layout. You can do that by giving us the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l

    Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    First you need to tell us your partition layout. You can do that by giving us the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l

    sure
    Code:
    devicet  boot   start    end       blocks      id       system
    dev/sda1*        1         5         40251      83       linux
    dev/sda2          6        68        506047     82       linux swap/solaris
    dev/sda3          69     4863      3851587    83       linux
    there,is it ok?


    (moderator added code tags)
    Last edited by loft306; 01-16-2006 at 11:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Linux Guru loft306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The DairyLand
    Posts
    1,666
    what is the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    to see where the tarball went...(what is full).
    but i assume it went where it always goes.... the wrong place ....the ramdrive or the future /boot part
    Last edited by loft306; 01-16-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    did you mount /dev/sda3 as /gentoo ?

    also, you need to cd into the new /gentoo. it's usually small things like that which cause the problems. also, you may have (somehow) mounted the partition read-only, which i don't think should happen. one last thing: are you untarring the stage file as root? if not, then that could be your problem. it may sound patronising but 99% of problems with gentoo installs are people missing the smallest piece of detail out when reading the manual. (the other 1% comes from trying to install it on my laptop )
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  6. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    did you mount /dev/sda3 as /gentoo ?

    also, you need to cd into the new /gentoo. it's usually small things like that which cause the problems. also, you may have (somehow) mounted the partition read-only, which i don't think should happen. one last thing: are you untarring the stage file as root? if not, then that could be your problem. it may sound patronising but 99% of problems with gentoo installs are people missing the smallest piece of detail out when reading the manual. (the other 1% comes from trying to install it on my laptop )

    is there a specific commands for untarring stage as root?

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8

    help

    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    did you mount /dev/sda3 as /gentoo ?

    also, you need to cd into the new /gentoo. it's usually small things like that which cause the problems. also, you may have (somehow) mounted the partition read-only, which i don't think should happen. one last thing: are you untarring the stage file as root? if not, then that could be your problem. it may sound patronising but 99% of problems with gentoo installs are people missing the smallest piece of detail out when reading the manual. (the other 1% comes from trying to install it on my laptop )

    is there a specific commands for untarring stage as root?

  8. #8
    Linux Engineer d38dm8nw81k1ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    793
    it's all explained in the gentoo manual. nothing too complex. you should be root already unless you used su <username> to change user, which you shouldn't have. like i said, follow the manual exactly and you SHOULD be ok


    ---

    and with that, ladies and gentlemen, i have finally achieved 500 posts
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7
    [QUOTE=g.ranger]sure
    Code:
    devicet  boot   start    end       blocks      id       system
    dev/sda1*        1         5         40251      83       linux
    dev/sda2          6        68        506047     82       linux swap/solaris
    dev/sda3          69     4863      3851587    83       linux
    there,is it ok?

    what you may want to look at, just as a suggestion is the size you have allocated to your boot partition- I noticed here it's rather small, and this is most likely the issue, as / and /boot should be a comparable size with the information you intend to put on it (a mistake I made at one point- making / too small and thus being unable to emerge or otherwise do anything with Xorg)

    as a rule of thumb, if you have a 40 Gig HD, give / at least 10%- so in this case about 4 gigs worth- you may never use it all, but you'll be glad you have it down the road- just some friendly words of advice

  10. #10
    Linux Guru budman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knee deep in Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    3,242
    Before downloading the tarball did you do
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
    cd /mnt/gentoo
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

    New users read The FAQ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •