Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an IBM Thinkpad 560 with at least 100mhz processor, I believe 40 something megs of ram, and a new 20 gig hard drive. Would it be possible to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Gentoo on an IBM Thinkpad 560???

I have an IBM Thinkpad 560 with at least 100mhz processor, I believe 40 something megs of ram, and a new 20 gig hard drive. Would it be possible to put a light Gentoo system on here with a desktop? Basically an Office setup, Opera browser, music player. And thats it.
    Ack!

Linux Engineer
    Yes, if you do a stage 3 installation it shouldn't be too difficult. But don't expect to compile much of anything on hardware like that.

Just curious - why Gentoo? Why not go for a distribution that doesn't have a strong emphasis on compiling everything from source?

Linux Newbie

Question gentoo options

Quote Originally Posted by sether
    Yes, if you do a stage 3 installation it shouldn't be too difficult. But don't expect to compile much of anything on hardware like that.

Just curious - why Gentoo? Why not go for a distribution that doesn't have a strong emphasis on compiling everything from source?
    What do you suggest (linux wise)?
    I am looking to use one of the Linux versions with a lighter window display manager with a more modern vibe. You know Fluxbox or something like that. I wish someone had a good review or rating scale to compare the different display managers. Hmmm... maybe a table to list what features they have. Heck, I just wish there was an up todate list of the display managers. All the lists I find seem to be outdated. I guess I should keep looking or alter my search paramaters.
    Ack!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yes Gentoo will work but sether is right the compile times will be extremely long, like I'm talking probably a day or two for X.

you could try damnsmalllinux which is basically designed for old systems.
    check out:

www.distrowatch.com

But, with Gentoo after you get through the compile times you probably will have the fastest possible system for your computer.

other display managers include:

fluxbox, blackbox, enlightenment, icewm, and xfce4--- (maybe a little too system intensive for your system)
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie

window managers and system req

Is there a good discussion about window managers somewhere. How do I tell how much system requirements would be associated with each one?
    Ack!

fluxbox will run on a 486, i have seen it in action.

kde and gnome wouldn't run on it. they require at least 128mb ram.

i dont know about much of the others except xfce which would require 64mb ram.

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Check the Linux desktop/X-windows area of the forum. I've used Fluxbox on some old computers, openbox and blackbox are also good alternatives (I've read that they are even lighter than fluxbox, but I can't really tell the difference). As has been said, stay away from KDE and Gnome. For up-to-date info on display managers, just check their websites.

After you finish compiling, you really will have the fastest possible sistem on those spec's. Though I'm not sure what you plan on using for office work, open office is IMHO too slow for that computer. Take a look at Abiword.